News:

The Teara Adan campaign is using Polyhedral Fudge

Main Menu

session 14

Started by Bynw, 24 May 2012, 20:47:18

Previous topic - Next topic

Bynw

20:02 <~anlarye> **** RECAP ****
20:02 <~anlarye> It has been a few days since the Imperial Major Kohler arrived with 3 Spectral Magicans to the small secluded cottage holding the 4 would be adventures. A few days since they were handsomely paid the full asking price for risking their lives to enter a Mohadine ship on a suicide mission that has never happened. And a few days since Luc handed over the magical bracers that Johannes took from the invaders during the lost battle for the Imperial Capital of South Wind.
20:02 <~anlarye> **** END RECAP ****
20:08 < Riam> ::a girl in her younger teens. Big, blue, and perceptive eyes peer out from under her straight, coal black hair. It is styled short and at an angle from the middle of the back of her head to just below her jaw. Her heart shaped face and high cheek bones promise to one day bloom into a stunningly beautiful woman. Her build is gangly. She sits at the main table of the cottage dividing the gold they where paid. A large pile sits
20:08 < Riam>  in front of her and several smaller ones that she is adding to::
20:08  * Luc relaxes in the Library, studying different spell texts that are in the room, as well as different magical combat texts from masters of his Order.
20:09  * Mirina sits in the library cataloguing the contents of her Healer's satchel, having largely replaced what she lost in the attack.
20:09  * Luc hears the clinking of coins, closes his book, and wanders into the main room and sits at the table, book in hand.
20:11 < Luc> *props his boots up on the table edge, relaxing and glancing over the top of his book at the girl that is now Riam.*
20:12 < Riam> ::Continues counting, speaking without looking up:: "I would think gold would be too mundane a concern for a spectral."
20:13 < Luc> "A necessary evil. Also fun to watch what people do with it."
20:15 < Riam> "It seems you spectrals deal in a lot of necessary evils. I wonder if I'm one of those." ::continues counting, nearing the end::
20:18 < Luc> ::glances up:: "Possibly, though you ARE entertaining, tricky, wiley, and an overall decent person despite your quirks. Which makes you worth keeping alive for now." ::moves a hand free, flipping fire into it briefly, leaving no doubt as to his implication in the previous phrase, grinning at Riam a moment before quenching the flame::
20:22 <~anlarye> ** the rest of the week passes in relative peace an quiet. no word from anyone about the war. and no sounds of the war drawing nearer either.
20:22 < Riam> ::Pauses for a moment at the flame display and looks up:: "Sometimes I almost forget your a lord. Then you do something like that." ::Goes back to counting, finishing up the last of it. She scoops the money into a scarf and ties it off::
20:22 < Riam> !!Scoops one of the piles I mean!!
20:23 < Luc> **want to finish this exchange then we'll continue**
20:24 < Luc> ::Grins at Riam:: "Rank hath privileges. Though I enjoy the flashiness more than the command and control. Magic is QUITE the flashy show when you want it to be."
20:25 < Luc> ((And now on with the show))
20:26  * Luc paces relentlessly near the communications book, reading his book but glancing up at the current page of the giant book as well. The current book he has is a smaller version of the communications book.
20:27  * Mirina smiles mildly.  "My lord Spectral, would you like me to prepare something for your nerves?  You're making ME anxious pacing like that."
20:29  * Luc mutters and waves her off. "Nothing. He said a week. Most of us are distinctly punctual. It's been a week, almost to the second."
20:30  * Luc growls and keeps pacing.
20:31  * Mirina returns to her chair and works on embroidering a border onto the sleeves of a silver-gray tunic.
20:31 < Riam> ::Sits in a corner, a well used small leather messenger bag is slung over her shoulder. She seems amused by Luc's impaitence::
20:31 <~anlarye> ** a knock comes to the cottage door **
20:32  * Luc looks up sharply, throws the small book in his pouch roughly, and walks to the door, spell behind his back alight.
20:32 < Luc> ::glances up at the other three, motioning them to be ready::
20:34  * Mirina sets her needle through the linen fabric, folds the tunic neatly, and places it in her pack, which rests at her feet, next to her newly-restocked Healer's satchel.
20:36 < Riam> ::Speaks softly to Luc:: "If whoever it is meant us harm why would they knock? Try to relax, until till it is time not to."
20:36 < Riam> "Perhaps your drinking a bit too much black bean tea?"
20:37 < Luc> ::breathes deeply and quenches the flame:: "You are correct." ::sighs and opens the door, still cautious::
20:39 <~anlarye> ::Major Kohler stands at the door as it opens. He is alone.:: "I have your bracers back."  ::he says while handing over a parcel to Luc::
20:41 < Luc> ::takes the package, looking at the Major thankfully:: "Thank you, Major. Did you need anything else? Any news on the war? Anything you can share with us?"
20:41  * Mirina listens attentively.
20:44 <~anlarye> ::he steps inside looking bit weary:: "The enemy controls all of the ancient Valimarian Bay. No ships can get in from the sea and no ships within it have managed to get out."
20:45 <~anlarye> *the parcel handed to Luc is heavy and large. wrapped in a thick canvas*
20:45 < Luc> "Christ......Has there been ANY progress towards freeing our countrymen and women? And our cities?"
20:46 <~anlarye> "They have made several ground points along an near South Wind. There have been a number of naval battles in the bay as other Imperial States attempt to expell them."
20:46 < Luc> ::glances down while talking and begins to unwrap the package, after placing it on the table, closing the door behind the Major and motionting him to a chair at the table.::
20:47 <~anlarye> ::the Major takes the chair offered to him::
20:48 <~anlarye> *within the wrapped canvas is a large wooden box, big enough to hold both bracers and the box itself is carved with the symbol of the Spectral Magicians*
20:49 <~anlarye> "We have had no luck rescuing any captives. Civilian or military held by the Mohadine. They are refusing to do any kind of negotiation. They have already demanded the total surrendure of the Empire."
20:49 < Luc> ::Glance at the box, curious, and opens it.::
20:49 <~anlarye> **within the box are the returned bracers
20:50 < Luc> "I assume we have told them to stuff their demand up their rectums?"
20:50  * Mirina suppresses a snicker and continues to listen to the conversation.
20:50 < Riam> ::Softly:: "Are those the same bracers we gave you Major?"
20:51 < Luc> ::Looks to the Major::
20:55 < Luc> "Major? Are they?"
20:56  * Mirina looks briefly alarmed, then quietly slides a hand to the sword belt resting against her leg.
20:57 <~anlarye> ::the Major looks up:: "Yes those are the same."
20:58 <~anlarye> "And yes the Emperor had the envoy hanged." ::he says::
20:59 < Luc> ::takes the bracers and snaps them on, then tests a quick flame spell in his hand::
21:04 < Riam> "The Envoy?"
21:07 < Luc> "Their messenger they sent to deliver the surrender demand. Good riddance. Like they actually believe we'd surrender willingly."
21:10 <~anlarye> ::Major Kohler:: "They hold a wide area of a beach on the shores surrounding South Wind. And they will be marching inland ... they have already positioned ships to cut off any sea access for Flora."
21:11 < Riam> ::Looks at luc and the major distastefully, but remains quiet::
21:11 < Luc> ??Did the flame spell work???
21:15 <~anlarye> (( yes, but it would have anyway ))
21:15 < Mirina> "From what I know of him, the new Emperor is not a man to be trifled with.  I can't say I'm surprised to hear that the envoy was executed."
21:16 < Luc> "Is there any good news at all, Major?"
21:21 <~anlarye> "The Empire is completely united on repelling and fighting the invaders. Every state has pledged its allegience to the Emperor. And West Abronn has joined the Empire as well."
21:21 <~anlarye> ::the major replies to Luc::
21:22 < Luc> "West Abronn? Truly?"
21:23 < Riam> "So let me get this correct, the enemy seems to have a serious problem with even their own men taking liberties with the locals. They regulate the use of magic to those responsible enough to use it wisely..."
21:23 < Luc> "We may stand a chance in naval affairs with them. That truly is good news."
21:25  * Mirina raises her eyebrows at the news about West Abronn.
21:25 < Riam> "Our Emperor hangs brave men who deliver messages that displease him. Does he even pull the lever himself?"
21:26 < Luc> brb
21:27 < Mirina> "These Mohadine attacked US.  I think they probably expected to lose that envoy, and if they didn't, they are fools, not that being fools makes them any less dangerous."
21:30 < Riam> "Perhaps they don't hang common folk where they come from every time they are irritated. Maybe that envoy was a very brave soul who danced at the end of a rope because some lord some where told him to deliver a scrap of paper or hang?"
21:31 < Luc> ::Waves a hand sharply:: "It matters not. What's done is done and we cannot remove the deed on the past."
21:32 < Mirina> "Perhaps.  As my lord Spectral says, it matters not, and it certainly cannot be undone at this point."
21:33 <~anlarye> ::Major Kohler:: "The enemy kills every adult they come across. Without quarter being given even if it is asked. They kidnap children to be used as slave labor until they drop dead and others are turned into foot soldiers. They regulate magic because they fear it. Not beause it needs to be in the hands of the wise."
21:34 < Mirina> "Speaking of which, what of the young boy we found in South Wind?"
21:39 <~anlarye> "Ah yes the last bit of payment per our agreement." ::the major says as he pulls out a folded sheet of paper from his tunic::
21:40 < Luc> ::Listens intently::
21:42 <~anlarye> "The child is one Cyril de al Marche. The eldest son of a merchant family of South Wind. His father was Lesel.
21:43 <~anlarye> "The boy had promise and was taken to be trained by the Spectral Magicians. The boy's father, in the past refused their previous offer of magical training for his son on religious grounds.
21:44 < Mirina> "As I understand it, training for the Spectral Magicians is...well...rigorous.  Do you think he'll manage?"
21:44 <~anlarye> "But now the boy is an orphan and he accepted the offer."  :: the major puts down the folded parchment:: "So he's begun his studies as a wizard."
21:44 < Mirina> "But then, perhaps, given what's happened, it's best he has something to do."
21:45 < Luc> "I have an extreme request, regarding the situation with the boy. Bring him to me in one month's time. I will train him, personally."
21:46 <~anlarye> "I am not trained in the magical arts so I couldn't begin to you what the boy could do .... " :: he pauses ready to say something else :: "You will have to discuss that with your Order. I'm not returning to the war room."
21:46 < Luc> "He will learn in the field from me, quickly and efficiently. Train him in the extreme basics, giving him little time to rest so you build his endurance and mind. Then let me have him. He will learn as one of us, from one of us."
21:47 < Luc> "Then let me do so. I assumed you were returning. We can always contact them. ::Looks at Riam:: Would you agree to assist me in this endeavor?"
21:48 <~anlarye> "In fact. I would like to spend the night here and then leave at dawn. That way I can regroup with my men who are headed to the front lines."
21:49 < Luc> "You have our permission, if the rest agree to it."
21:49 < Riam> ::Looks confused:: "I know nothing of those arts. I don't think the boy would have what it takes to learn what I'd teach him."
21:51 < Luc> "I would have him learn what you know of poisons, and how to counter it and the like should he encounter it in the field. Mirina, I would have him learn what you know of healing herbs to learn how to heal simple damage. And the rest would come from me and the young Lord there ::nods at Johannes::."
21:52 < Luc> "His anger, and his mind, and his resourcefulness in survival, would be better put in the field with us than in years of study with the Masters and trainers of our Order. "
21:53 < Luc> "He will learn not just HOW to use his talent, but when, and where, and to what purpose. Many of the younger Spectrals lack that initial understanding until years into their first assignments."
21:53 < Riam> ::Barks out in laughter::
21:54 < Luc> ::glares at Riam:: "And some lack it for years afterwards. It takes time, and experience in the world."
21:55 < Luc> "This will also help solidify his bond with the Empire. Though we will, of course, follow the wishes of the Masters of the Order, and the Emperor himself, as well as what Senate there is."
21:55 <~anlarye> ::Johannes looks over at Luc from his long stare into nothingness:: "There is nothing I could teach him Luc." ::he returns just staring into and at nothing::
21:58 <~anlarye> (( looks like a good place to call it ))
21:58 < Mirina> "I will teach him what I can, but much of the Healer's art can only be learned by those born with the talent.
Bynw da GM
The World of Teara Adan
Founding Four Member