News:

The Teara Adan campaign is using Polyhedral Fudge

Main Menu

Session 2

Started by Bynw, 09 November 2011, 23:32:35

Previous topic - Next topic

Bynw

20:25 <~bynw> ***
20:25 <~bynw> The Emperor is dead. Before his body could lay in State and the succession proceeding begin. The ancient city of SouthWind has been attacked.
20:25 <~bynw> .
20:25 <~bynw> Cannons fired into the city. Destroying the ancient palace, onced used by the Cana Empire and by Adanac when it rose like a phoenix from the ashes of the old Empire. It's towers and ramparts blown to rubble and dust. Even the great Cathedral was not spared from this savage attack.
20:25 <~bynw> It is guessed that the great rulers of the Empire, those who were in residence at the Palace, made it to safety through the Gate before it too was attacked and has gone silent, it's magical energies no longer stirring.
20:25 <~bynw> All around are the cries of the wounded and dying. No one has been untouched by this tragic and unforeseen event. The city lies in smoldering ruins and the cannons are still being vollied at will into the city.
20:25 <~bynw> ***
20:28 < Riam> ::Yelling at Luc:: "We've got to get the hell under cover NOW! Get us moving towards somewhere safe!" ::Takes the woman by the arm::
20:30 < Riam> ??How far are we from the docks??
20:31 <~bynw> ?? you are near the city center, so it would take a bit of time to get to the docks, you cant smell the sea from here ... maybe a 1/4 mile
20:34 <~bynw> :: thick black smoke fills the sky as the cannons continue to fire into the city. chocking the air and making it difficult to see through the haze. one can hear buildings cruch and topple due to the bombardment. the time between the shots is getting wider however
20:34 < Riam> ??An Inn or tavern nearby??
20:35 < Luc> *Directs them both towards a mostly standing building nearby that has already been hit*
20:35  * Johannes curses fluently as he glances about swiftly, accessing the situation and heading towards nearby cover.
20:35 -!- DesertRose is now known as Mirina
20:35 <~bynw> ?? most buildings have been hit by direct fire or at least by indirect fire ... nothing will provide long term safety
20:36 < Riam> "We needs to find a basement and hide in the corner closest to the dock. It will help protect us. Let's go."
20:36 < Riam> ??Sewer entrance big enough to slip down near??
20:37 -!- McDeryni is now known as TD-Lurking
20:37  * Mirina looks at Ri'am, briefly affronted at his familiarity and still annoyed at losing her horse, and then follows him.
20:38 <~bynw> !! yes a sewer is nearby !!
20:39 < Riam> ::Pulls the woman along to the sewer entrance, shouting for Luc to follow. He pulls open the entrance and hurries down below::
20:40  * Mirina drops down into the sewer.
20:41 <~bynw> :: the sewer has a good stench to it ... hasn't been a rain for a few days to wash it out and make it sweet and clean. the sounds of the cannons are much softer here ::
20:44  * Mirina wrinkles her nose at the smell of the sewers but says nothing, realizing it is stink or die at this point.
20:45 < Riam> "I don't suppose you can light our way my Lady?"
20:45 <~bynw> :: the ground shakes, dust falls from the roof of the sewer and the stink gets more profound for a few moments after each cannon ball hits nearby ::
20:45 < Luc> *Runs behind the two, murmuring a quick spell, lighting their way as Riam speaks*
20:47 < Riam> ::Grins at the two:: "Well I'l bet neither of you expected to be here when you woke this morn?"
20:47  * Mirina looks at Luc in relief, abandoning a search through her pack for a torch.
20:48  * Johannes spots the sewer opening, hesitating only a moment before dashing towards it and lowering himself through it cautiously.
20:49 < Luc> *Pushes past the two, directing them towards where the docks would be, stopping after a few feet*
20:49 < Riam> ::Makes way for the newcomer and moves back into the shadows a bit, just on the edge of Luc's light::
20:50 < Riam> "You really want to take the chance of getting lost down here?" ::To Luc::
20:51 < Luc> *Looks to the person climbing down* "Careful, stranger....Climbing down amongst those in a hurry can get yourself killed in times like these. Fast, too."
20:52  * Mirina takes advantage of the light to study her new companions, including the newcomer who appears to have simply decided that this was a good idea.
20:53 < Luc> "My friend, I know this city well enough to get us around down here. And you, stranger. Tell us who you are, why you are here, and now, or you are going to get a lot darker skinned in a very short period of time."
20:53  * Johannes peers evenly at the speaker, allowing his mind to tentatively brush at those arrayed before him. "I simply seek refuge. I mean you no harm."
20:55 < Johannes> "I am known as Brother Engel."
20:55  * Mirina looks at Johannes, and allows a brief mind touch.
20:55 < Luc> *Allows his mind to push against the brush lightly*
20:57 < Riam> ::Riam's mind slips away like an eel shunning any contact with the newcomer::
20:59 < Luc> *Eyes him warily* "Come with us if you will, then. All of you, eyes, ears, and minds open."
21:01 < Luc> "I am Luc. As this group knows, and you may not, I am a Spectral. The Empire needs us. Right now, Recon is the name of the game. We need information."
21:02 < Mirina> "My name is Mirina Vel'Drenek, and I'm a Healer, if the satchel doesn't give that away.  I don't know how much help I can be at reconnaissance but I can at least patch you lot back up if you get hurt doing it."  She quirks a small smile.
21:04 < Riam> !df 4 for shields
21:04 <@ChanServ> Result: ( )(-)( )(-)
21:06 < Johannes> "I shall accompany you, if you shall permit me to do so, and offer my aid where I can. You seem an accepting enough lot. I am an Anadari disciple." He allows himself a droll smile. "If a bit of a backwater bumpkin."
21:08  * Mirina looks at Johannes.  "My great-aunt became an Anadari, of the house Horizon.  She was a Healer too."
21:08 < Riam> ::From the edge of the light, his features hard to make out:: "Father Montoya, a humble man of the all mighty. Pleased."
21:10 < Luc> *Towards the 'Father'* My household priest.
21:13 < Riam> "I didn't catch any of your names?"
21:13 < Luc> "Now that introductions are finished, we need to be moving before the city collapses on top of us. This way, please. Quickly."
21:13 <~bynw> :; the ground shakes and some considerable amount of debris comes into the sewer from where the characters entered ::
21:14 < Riam> "Lead the way."
21:15 < Luc> *Leads the party towards the docks, guiding via his light spell*
21:16 <~bynw> ::as the group travels through the sewers which will eventually empty out into the bay, the sludge on the sewer floor is getting thicker and deeper which each soggy step, the dry ledges are gone and the smells are getting worse ::
21:16  * Mirina hugs her satchel to her side in an attempt to keep it, at least, clean-ish.
21:20 <~bynw> :: the pace is slow going and the tunnels twist and turn with a few forks within them. no sign of anyone else in the tunnels and there are other places where the sewers have already caved in ... thus causing the thickness to appear
21:21 < Riam> ::From the rear of the group on the edge of the light:: "Dammit!"
21:22  * Mirina looks toward Ri'am in some amazement.
21:22 < Riam> "This muck has taken my sandal. I certainly hope you have some silver leaf to make an antiseptic my dear."
21:23 < Mirina> "I have a full kit here; if we can just get out of this mess alive, I'll sort you out.
21:23 < Mirina> "
21:25  * Johannes tracks carefully though muck, teal handfire forming dimly in his palm.
21:25  * Mirina smiles wryly.
21:27 < Luc> *Motions gently* "Not much further...."
21:27 < Luc> ??How close are we getting??
21:27 <~bynw> :: another pile of debris blocks the path choosen by Luc as he leads the group throug the mire of SouthWind's sewers ::
21:37 < Riam> "Excellent navigational skills Spectral, you really know the city, humph!"
21:37 < Johannes> He glances about sharply, taking the lead as he motions carelessly behind him. "Follow me. I know the way."
21:39  * Mirina turns to see where Johannes is planning on leading them.
21:40 < Riam> ::Eyes the Anadari a moment and then nods:: "You really can't be much worse. Lead the way Anadari."
21:41 < Luc> "I'll leave it to the rest of you, but if this fails, we're abandoning this damned fool sewer and going to the surface and running for the nearest sewer entrance to the docks."
21:41  * Johannes mutters a curse under his breath. "There's a lot of blockage we're going to have to go around."
21:43 < Luc> *Grumbles* "If only magic had a solution."
21:43 < Riam> ::Rolls his eyes at Luc and follows Johannes::
21:43 < Luc> *Glares at Riam* "Remember who owns your hide for now, Father."
21:44 <~bynw> :: Brother Engle leads the group, backtracking through the sloppy waste of the people of SouthWind, until taking another fork that was bypassed the last time through ... here the sewer is a bit drier but no less filthy ::
21:46 < Riam> ::Smiles wickedly at Luc and nods, in a whisper:: "Of course Master Spectral...of course."
21:47 < Luc> *Grins back and whispers in return* "As long as you keep me laughing and myself and keep a knife out of my back you're free to do as you wish and you know it."
21:48 < Luc> **laughing at
21:48 <~bynw> :: several hours into their journey through the city's sewers, another scent has joined with the stench of the waste ... the smell of the sea ::
21:48 < Luc> "We're close. I can smell it."
21:48 -!- fudgebob (~fudgebob@9C6C4E.EFDB47.5654A7.12449A) has quit (Quit: Leaving.)
21:49  * Johannes pants. "Getting there."
21:54 <~bynw> :: the smell of the sea gets stronger, and the thickness of the filth is getting thinner. and the tunnel is sloping downwards to make drainage easier ::
21:55 < Riam> "Praise god for guiding us through this warren of filth! I only hope it is not savages that we meet in the bay."
21:55  * Mirina protects her satchel with one hand and holds the other hand out for balance as the footing gets trickier.
21:56 < Luc> "There! Where it drains! I'm hoping we'll be able to see who they are and their numbers from the main sewage drain out of the city."
21:56 <~bynw> !! everyone can make an Agility or Balance roll to avoid slipping and sliding down the slope here
21:56 <~bynw> !! Difficulty is Good
21:57 < Mirina> !df4 for agility
21:57 < Mirina> !df 4
21:57 <@ChanServ> Result: (-)(-)(-)(+)
21:57 < Luc> !df 4
21:57 <@ChanServ> Result: ( )(-)(+)(+)
21:57 < Riam> ! df 4
21:57 < Riam> !df 4
21:57 <@ChanServ> Result: ( )(-)(+)(-)
21:58 < Johannes> !df 4
21:58 <@ChanServ> Result: (+)( )(+)(+)
22:03  * Mirina slips in the sloping muck and falls face first into the sewage, coming up sputtering and swearing and absolutely covered in shit.
22:03 < Riam> ::Suddenly his sandal-less foot slips on the muck at the top of the tunnel . For a split-second he is airborn and then with a thud he falls onto his back an into the muck. Without delay he begins to slide down the tunnel, picking up speed as he goes. Thankfully he does not yell and keeps his mouth shut as he slides::
22:06 <~bynw> :: the end of the tunnel is blocked by a iron gate. this stops large items from entering the bay but allows the muck to wash out. dusk has fallen over the city and normally even here, one could see the lights of the city reflected across the bay but this night it is dark ... ::
22:07 < Riam> ::Slides into the grate and comes to an abrupt stop with a grunt by slamming into the grate::
22:07 < Luc> *Eases his way down to the gate, not slipping and sliding like the rest. Looks out the grate, trying to get a look at the ships firing into the city*
22:07  * Mirina slides in the muck and stops abruptly at the grate, bruising herself rather spectacularly and carefully keeping her mouth shut due to still being covered in muck.
22:08 <~bynw> :: there are ship lanterns across the bay from what must be several ships in the harbor ... they can be seen a bit better when there is a muzzle flash from the cannons they are firing into the city. 3 or maybe more ships ...::
22:08 < Riam> ::Stands up, looking absolutely dismal and covered in the combined muck of Teara-adan's largest city::
22:08 < Luc> ????Can we see the emblems on the flags????
22:09  * Mirina turns her sleeve to a reasonably clean space on the back and wipes her face.  "How the hell do we get out of here?"  She is clearly severely annoyed.
22:09 <~bynw> !! perception roll for that ... given the darkness and flashes of light from the cannon fire !!
22:09 < Riam> ::looks to the sky and whispers:: "God why must you test my faith?"
22:10 < Luc> !4 df
22:10 < Luc> !df 4
22:10 <@ChanServ> Result: (-)(-)( )(-)
22:11 <~bynw> !! too dark to tell and not enough light hitting them during the cannon fire
22:12 < Riam> "Not to hurry you, but if one of you could get us past the grate I would be much appreciated my sons."
22:12 < Riam> ::flicks a large piece of filth from his robe's sleeve::
22:13 < Luc> "Just a moment. I need to comment to describe the ships to my contacts. This won't take long."
22:14 <~bynw> :: the water is about 3 feet below the tunnel's opening ::
22:14  * Mirina squirms uncomfortably but makes herself wait until Luc has done his surveillance.
22:14 < Luc> *concentrates deeply on his amulet, trying to contact his order*
22:15 < Riam> ??is the grate locked shut??
22:15 <~bynw> !! rusted more likely
22:17 < Riam> ??Any branches or debris in the area of a size to use as a pry bar??
22:18  * Mirina looks around for anything that might be usable to open the grate.
22:20 < Riam> ::Grabs a large loose shaft of what looks like a broken piece of a wrought iron fence and pushes his way through the others to jam it between the grate and the wall:: "Out of the way!"
22:21  * Mirina backs up as swiftly as she can without falling again.
22:21 < Riam> ::grunts as he begins prying at the grate::
22:22 < Luc> *steps back*
22:22 < Riam> ::Talking out loud to himself:: "I'm covered in shit and you two are meditating for instructions...."
22:22 < Riam> "There is a time for prayer and a time for...."
22:23 < Riam> !df 4
22:23 <@ChanServ> Result: (+)( )(-)( )
22:25 <~bynw> :: the gate opens with a loud grating of metal against metal as its old hinges crack and strain under the unusal movement, and then it stops with only an opening 2 feet wide ::

Bynw da GM
The World of Teara Adan
Founding Four Member