News:

The Teara Adan campaign is using Polyhedral Fudge

Main Menu

Session 1

Started by Bynw, 02 November 2011, 23:34:51

Previous topic - Next topic

Bynw

20:33 <~bynw> ***
20:33 <~bynw> It is just past the tolling of the noon cathedral bells in South Wind, the Capital of the Empire itself. Home to nearly a half million people going about their daily routines. The Market Places are crowded as people buy and haggle their wares and what will end up on tables in the evening. Young and old, wealthy and modestly living people mingle on the streets.
20:33 <~bynw> Traders, Merchants, Politicians, Nobles and their retainers all moving about the city on their way to and from appoints. Only the city of Sanctuary in the Crystal Islands has more activity on the streets. And like that city, not all of the activity on the streets of South Wind are legal.
20:33 <~bynw> The city's ports are always open, with ships coming and going carrying goods and people to and from the farthest reaches of the Empire and beyond. But others are more concerned with the current state of affairs as they make their way towards the Imperial palace and the central market and its Imperial gate.
20:36 -!- fudgebob (~fudgebob@9C6C4E.EFDB47.5654A7.12449A) has quit (Quit: Leaving.)
20:36 < Riam> ::Slips out of the alley and follows the man as he leaves::
20:38 < Luc> ::Looks over his shoulder::
20:39 <~bynw> *the bells at the Imperial palace begin to ring out, different tones for calling the Senators and other events. This is a low tone that can bring chills to a man. People stop and look in the direction of the Palace.
20:40  * Mirina brings Honoria to a rather abrupt stop in the street.
20:42 < Luc> :keeps going to his inn
20:42 < Luc> :
20:42 <~bynw> *people in the street are looking towards the palace, shock on their faces. hands coming to their mouths to stop themselves from gasping. some crossing themselves as the tone is picked up by the cathedral as well. a tone of mourning.
20:43 <~bynw> *after the initial shock of the bells, people slowly resume their tasks at hand. merchants begin to close down their shops as they too have other places to be
20:44 < Riam> ::Follows Luc to the inn, keeping a bit of distance::
20:46 <~bynw> *one of the people on the streets turns to Mirina, looking up at her on her horse, a bit of disbelif in his eyes* "is it true  ... the Emperor has died and you ride to the Palace ?
20:46 <~bynw> "
20:46  * Johannes winds down his bartering swiftly but politely, his head turning to and fro as he attempts to discern the reason behind the hubbub.
20:47 < Luc> ::Luc quickly heads to his inn, all but running upstairs. He is seen going in to the inn, but not coming out.::
20:48 <~bynw> *everyone seems to now be talking about the Emperor dying. he was old ... and this was coming but its too soon
20:48 <~bynw> *he was loved by all*
20:49 <~bynw> *a woman grabs Johannes by the hand, she is shaken by the event, tears are streaming down her face* "a sad day ... for all of us"
20:50  * Mirina looks down at the man who spoke to her in shock.  "I ride to the Palace because I was summoned there.  I suppose those bells mean that my talents, however modest, are too late."
20:51  * Johannes murmurs gentle words of comfort to the woman, squeezing her hands reassuringly before letting them go and migrating in the direction of the Palace. "Alas, indeed it is, a bleak day for us all."
20:53 <~bynw> *the woman thanks him and she too turns towards the Palace, as many people tend to be heading in that direction. clogging the streets of the city ... obviously looking for news and official announcements
20:55 < Luc> ::An Indigo Spectral Magician is seen in Indigo robes of plain design among the crowd, walking tall and proud, sparking murmurs among the talk of the newly passed and beloved Emperor. He is seen headed straight towards the palace, nearer side of the market, towards the inns and shops, but his destination is clear. The Rainbow stripe is clear on his left shoulder, and his hood is up to
20:55 < Luc> obscure his face, his stance and attitude one clearly of mourning::
21:01 < Luc> ::The Spectral moves through the crowd like a wind, pushing past them as if they didn't exist. Of course, they give way to him easily, being who he is.::
21:05 <~bynw> *the crowded and congested streets full of people walking and riding give way to the Spectral Magician among them. The ancient order of Wizards are the long appointed guardians of Adanac.*
21:05 < Riam> ::It takes a moment but he quickly realizes the indigo mage is the man he spoke to in the alley. He comes to stand next to the mage and walk apace with him. Munching now on the fruit. His voice returning to his pious tones:: "I should have know you for a spectral."
21:06 < Luc> ::Speaking quietly:: "Perhaps. Not all of us are as inquisitive or tolerant initially though."
21:10 < Riam> ::Chuckles:: "Ah, am I supposed to be grateful or some such then?"
21:11 < Luc> ::Chuckles with Riam:: "Not really. I found a little fun in our conversation, which was the real point of it all. And I suspect it was the real reason you went. To find entertainment."
21:13  * Mirina clicks Honoria back to a trot, not wanting to go too fast in the crowded streets, but eager to reach the Master Healer at the Palace.
21:14 < Riam> "I do so love life's little quirks. I simply don't believe in coincidence. Here I am in need of patronage and a Spectral chances to strike casual conversation with me."
21:15 < Riam> "Do you know me ser?" ::glances at the man to gauge his reaction?"
21:22 < Luc> ::Looks up a little, quirking a quick grin:: "I believe I could use a man of your talents. If nothing else you'd be good for a laugh more often than not. We'll discuss this more later, but stick to your priestly persona for now. And as to whether I know you, I actually really was just bored. It was chance."
21:23 <~bynw> *the slow pace of the crowd insures that the short distance to the Palace will take a bit of time, and now all of the bells of the city have rung out the requiem tune
21:26 < Riam> ::Gives a wicked smile at Luc:: "A laugh...Oh I do so love you Spectrals."
21:27 < Riam> ::Falls in place a pace behind the spectral mage flowing into the wake he leaves in the crowd. He smiles and makes the sign of the cross at passerby's::
21:27 < Luc> ::Grins again:: "Nobody suspects that we do actually have senses of humor but we really do. You'd be surprised what spells the others do when something crawls up their robes."
21:28 < Luc> "Keep that to yourself though. Images, you know."
21:29 < Riam> "So glad to hear it. I just left a noble knight not more then a fortnight ago. Business with a gold coin. I thought it was endlessly humorous. He really had very little humor though. A true bore. Maybe you'll be more...entertaining."
21:30 <~bynw> *as the crowd gets closer to the Palace, in sight of the gateway as well. there is a member of the Imperial Household on the balcony ... the Chamberlain, waiting for the people to assemble*
21:30  * Mirina begins to worry that Master Kiruken is angry that she didn't make it to the Palace in time, and, because the roads are full of people, represses an urge to gallop to the Palace.
21:30 < Luc> "I try to be, my friend."
21:32 < Luc> ::Moves towards the front of the crowd, making his way through. The crowd makes way for him, seeing his robe, and who he is, they part for him. He stands with them, at the front, bringing Riam with him.::
21:34  * Mirina reaches the Palace gates and pulls a medallion out of her tunic to show the gate guard.  He admits her into the Palace yard; she stables Honoria and goes to find Master Kiruken, who summoned her here in the first place.
21:34 <~bynw> *the guards look at the medallion and state due to the Emperor's death, no one is allowed in or out of the Palace right now*
21:35 <~bynw> *the Chamberlain speaks the growing crowd, his voice projected by magic so that all may hear*
21:37 <~bynw> "His Imperial Majesty, King Henry FitzGerald Ronn. King of Halifax and Emperor of Adanac is dead. He passed into Heaven's keeping with full confession and rites of God's Holy Church"
21:40 < Riam> ::MOves up close behind the Indigo mage, looking over his shoulder at the chamberlain::
21:41  * Mirina crosses herself, more or less automatically, not out of deep piety.
21:42 <~bynw> "In keeping with the Traditions of the Empire. The Sentate will meet and read the Emperor's will to see if he has named a successor for the Empire. And that will be announced within a few days. The Emperor's body will lie in state here for 3 days and then be transported back to Central City in his native Halifax for an addtional stay before he is buried with his ancestors."
21:44 < Riam> "Oh political unrest. It seems my arrival is two fold fortunate. I would say lucky, if a man believed in such."
21:44 < Luc> ::Shushes Riam a little:: "There may be more."
21:44 <~bynw> *the Chamberlain continues speaking to the crowd. Assuring them that all is well within the Empire and that the Emperor did pass away due to his advanced age. The gates of the Palace would be reopened at noon tomorrow for those wishing to begin to see the Emperor.*
21:46 < Luc> "We'll see the emperor with the crowd in a day or two, just for appearances. Then we'll leave. I'll contact the Order tonight. They'll need to hear of this if they haven't already."
21:46 <~bynw> *the city is hushed to hear the words of the Chamberlain as he reads off the official proclimation announcing the death of the Emperor*
21:46 < Riam> ::in a hushed tone:: "Oh, no political intrigue for you?"
21:48  * Mirina waits by the gate, semi-patiently, for the Chamberlain to finish talking.  While he drones on, she composes a message to Master Kiruken, hoping to ask the gate guard to pass the note on.
21:52 < Luc> "Intrigue is one thing. Safety is another. Let us go once he's finished. I need to go back to the inn."
21:52 <~bynw> *the Chamberlain continues to read the bans declaring who within the Senate has the power of the Emperor until the Will can be read*
21:53 < Riam> ::Smiles wickedly:: "Ah yes, safety. A man can never be too careful now-a-days. Being a Spectral you must have made enemies yes?"
21:55 < Luc> "A few, my friend, a few."
21:56 < Riam> ::Falls into step with Luc:: "What's to keep someone from trying something in a crowd like this?" ::Looks around, suddenly a bit worriedly::
21:57 <~bynw> *the sound begins as a distant crack of thunder, without a cloud in the sky on the warm summer day. a crack and then a pop ... two, three, four ... and more of them ...
21:58 < Luc> "The reputation of spectrals, my friend, and if someone tries anything, they'd have to kill hundreds to hit me too. This isn't an ordinary robe."
21:59 < Riam> ::Is about to say something, but it dies on his lips and his head swivels at the sounds::
21:59  * Mirina writes, "Master Kiruken, I apologize for my tardiness to the Palace.  I stopped within the city to replenish the herbs in my Healer's kit, and did not make it to the Palace before the Emperor passed away.  I will take a room at the Golden Unicorn near the Palace for tonight, and I will return to the Palace tomorrow, if the guards will admit me.  Very sincerely, Mirina Vel'Drenek of Reniska, Healer."
21:59 < Riam> ??Where is the sound coming from and do I recognize it??
22:00 <~bynw> !! everyone can make a perception roll
22:00 < Mirina> df 4
22:01 <~bynw> ( !df 4 )
22:01 < Mirina> !df 4
22:01 <@ChanServ> Result: ( )(+)(+)(-)
22:01 < Riam> !df 4
22:01 <@ChanServ> Result: (+)(-)(+)( )
22:02 < Johannes> !df 4
22:02 <@ChanServ> Result: (-)(+)( )(-)
22:03 < Luc> !df 4
22:03 <@ChanServ> Result: (-)( )(-)(+)
22:03 <~bynw> *the sound is coming from the direction of the harbor*
22:05 <~bynw> *then the first hits ... the cathedral steeple ... its tall tower shattered, and in quick succession the spires of the Palace and several parts of the city are blown to bits by the cannons being fired from the harbor.
22:05 < Mirina> "What the hell?!"
22:05 < Luc> "What the hellfire?"
22:05 < Riam> ::Ducks down and moves to cover from debris in a flash::
22:06 <~bynw> *the ground shakes, and people are screaming and running ... streets and clogged masses be damned ... most are headed for the Gate*
22:07 < Luc> ::Grabs Riam by the collar, dragging him towards where his Order is located in the city::
22:07  * Mirina remounts and stuffs the half-forgotten note in her saddlebag, and turns Honoria toward the south.
22:07 <~bynw> *the chamberlains tower is hit and he disappears in the falling debris. crack! pop! crack! pop! ... it continues to rain down on the city*
22:07 < Luc> ::Runs quickly, running at speeds he didn't think possible::
22:08  * Mirina is having trouble keeping Honoria from running as if chased by the Hounds of Hell, managing to direct her toward the same gate by which they had entered the city earlier that day.
22:08 <~bynw> *cannons on the outer city walls finally seem to speak back ... and there are flashes of arcane light from many points within the city ... all directed towards the harbor*
22:08 < Riam> ::Follows Luc for the moment, yelling now to be heard over the crowd:: "Where are you taking us?"
22:09 < Luc> "To my order. We need to organize. First, to an alley, so I can listen with my mind in case I can't hear over the cannons."
22:09 < Luc> ::Drags them into a nearby alley for cover::
22:10 < Riam> ::Follows:: "you practice Deryni arts as well as arcane?"
22:10 <~bynw> * Mirina's is pulled off her horse by the crowds as they stampeed towards the Gate in a mass of exodus from the city"
22:11 < Luc> "I do have some psionics ability as well as arcane ones. The Deryni have no monopoly on the arts of the mind."
22:11 < Luc> *psionic
22:12  * Mirina curses as she takes a fall, curling as she was taught in childhood to fall from a horse, then rapidly uncoiling to avoid being trampled by horse or person.
22:12  * Mirina curses again as the horse runs away in a panic.
22:12 < Riam> ??Do I see the lady fall from her horse??
22:15 < Riam> ::Looks to Luc:: "Stay here, don't move. I'll be just a moment."
22:16 < Luc> ::concentrates and calls through to his order through a pendant around his neck::
22:16 < Riam> ::Dashes out of the alley shoving his way to the fallen lady::
22:18 < Riam> ::Yelling as he moves:: "HE END TIMES ARE UPON US! GOD HAS SENT HIS WRAITH! WOE TO THE CITY OF SODDOM! THE END TIMES ARE UPON US! REPENT!"
22:19  * Mirina looks up in the direction of Ri'am as he yells.
22:19 <~bynw> * cannons are still being fired into the city, as the city responds to the attack. firing cannons as well as using magic ... nothing is safe in South Wind, the whole of the city is being targetted indiscrimiantely. cannon fire hitting the streets and sending people to their deaths ... but the Gate is still active and safe ...
22:20 <~bynw> *as the mass of the city attempts to escape through it, the crowd being pushed in the direction fo the Gate
22:20 < Riam> ::Reaches the Lady's side:: "The alley over there my lady. Away from the crowd, you'll never make the gate now. Come!"
22:21  * Mirina jumps up and follows Ri'am, sensing that he knows whereof he speaks, still cursing quietly.  "Damn, damn, and double damn!"
22:23 <~bynw> *there is a moment of imperial purple at the Gate ... before it vanishes through the opening and more cannon fire strikes the palace
22:23 < Riam> ::Over his shoulder as he moves, pushing people out of their way and moving back to the alley:: "I spied your bag. Your a healer? Schooled in the arts of herbs?"
22:24 < Mirina> "Yes, I'm a Healer, and yes, I just replenished my herbal kit."
22:24 < Luc> ::concentrates, oblivious to Mirina and Riam:: "Where are you guys at?"
22:25 < Mirina> "That's actually why I'm not in the Palace.  I stopped at the herbalist's to buy some things I was low on."
22:25 < Riam> "I know a bit of herbs myself..." ::trails off as he enters the alley and turns to make sure Mirina makes it to safety as well::
22:25  * Mirina shudders.  "That stop may have saved my life.  God only knows what's left of the Palace.  I just wish I hadn't lost my horse."
22:26  * Mirina enters the alley and leans against the wall.
22:26 < Riam> "I'm sure we can acquire you another one in time."
22:27 < Riam> "This is...well i don't now his name, but he is a Spectral mage." ::Doesn't look at all impresssed::
22:27 < Mirina> "Yeah, but all my stuff except my Healer's kit was in my saddlebags."
22:27 < Mirina> "I don't even have a change of clothes.  My mother would have a fit."
22:28 < Mirina> "Actually, she'd have a fit that I'm wearing men's clothes in the City anyway."
22:28 < Luc> ::Looks up:: "The Senate is safe."
22:28 < Riam> ::Smiles wickedly:: "I was robbed on the road. They left me not but this bag of coin which I managed to hide and my rosary."
22:28  * Mirina realizes she is babbling, shuts up, and really looks at Luc and Ri'am.
22:28 < Luc> "I....The Empire needs your help. Both of you. This moment."
22:29 <~bynw> *another cannon fires into the city ... this ball of death strikes the very center of the Gate itself ... and it stops its rippling and glowing arcane power .... and the people scatter in a direction towards the northern and western gates out of the city*
22:29  * Mirina draws a deep breath.  "Who are you two, first off?"
22:30 < Riam> ::Ri'am appears to be in his early 50's. Grey hair and balding with a snow white well trimmed beard. He wears homespun friars robes tied with a simple rope belt that bulge over a belly. He does have a rosary and a coin purse as well::
Bynw da GM
The World of Teara Adan
Founding Four Member