• Welcome to Teara Adan Adventures.

News:

The Teara Adan campaign is using Polyhedral Fudge

Main Menu

Chapter 1 Episode 10

Started by Bynw, 08 November 2006, 16:53:24

Previous topic - Next topic

Bynw

[21:44] <.Bynw> *Having won the archery contest Jenna and the rest of the group heads out of the gates of Quiette Castle taking the northern trade route.  The first leg of which is down out of the highlands of and the mountains of EInar by river barges... 
[21:46] <.Bynw> *the merchant crews are always looking for other hands to help keep the barges in the water and off the banks as they travel the fast currents down the slopes to the Great Lake below*
[21:46] <.Bynw> ?? do you hire on or take the long way of riding yourself ??
[21:46] * +Jenna groans "boats... I hate boats..."
[21:47] * +Kanax shrugs, "It could be worse."
[21:47] <+Jaden> ::smiles at Jenna:: "Well we might as well get paid for this trip."
[21:47] <+Jenna> "I know I know"
[21:47] * +Jenna sighs
[21:48] <+Jaden> ::seeks out a captain of a barge::
[21:49] <+Kanax> ::smiles, obviously happy to be getting on the road:: "Definately could be worse.  We could be stuck with the wood."
[21:49] * +Jenna crouches down on her heels, taking deep breaths, mentally preparing herself for this
[21:50] <.Bynw> *Seeing an extra 5 hands (even with a few horses) the merchant captain is more than happy to hire the lot on at 3 gold crowns per day*
[21:51] <+Jaden> ::nods to the captain and motions the others on::
[21:51] * +Jenna boards the barge staying close to James and Charlie
[21:51] <+Jenna> "don't mind if I use Charlie to ground myself a bit here, do you James?"
[21:51] * Silvr_Dragon (Silvr_Dragon@*.sympatico.ca) has joined #Teara-Adan
[21:52] * Silvr_Dragon (Silvr_Dragon@*.sympatico.ca) has left #Teara-Adan
[21:52] <.Bynw> *The merchant captain indicates that they will be going to the eastern shore of the great lake to a merchant holding known as "Seafort-on-Lake" ... it will take about 2 weeks travel time*
[21:53] <+Kanax> :: boards, looking around ::
[21:53] * +Jenna makes herself as useful as possible under the circumstances
[21:54] * +Thek gets on
[21:54] <+Kanax> :: doesn't know much about being a deckhand, but is willing to fake it and learn ::
[21:55] <+James> ::likewise::
[21:55] <.Bynw> *it is a river boat, but not a luxury one ... its main power is sails and oars.  absolutely needed on the swift currents of the mountain rivers ... wide but not deep.*
[21:56] <+Jaden> ::busies himself following the captains orders::
[21:57] <.Bynw> *only 3 decks ... mostly cargo ... with crampt quarters for both crew and what few livestock is on board*
[21:57] * +Thek does everything quickly, efficiently, and with a high level of ontempt
[21:58] <.Bynw> *the primary duty for the first week is to keep the boat from hitting the shores of the river in the fast currents .... a 24/7 job*
[21:58] <+Jaden> ::once finished with his appointed task moves over to Jenna::
[21:58] <+Jaden> "How are you doing?"
[21:59] <+Kanax> :: takes a spot at one of the oars, keeping himself busied, and letting the movement of the boat consume his thoughts ::
[21:59] * +Jenna is a nice shade of green
[21:59] <+Jenna> "so far *gulp* so good"
[22:00] <+Jaden> ::smiles and nods in Thek's direction:: "Look at the elf, he thinks this is too good for him."
[22:01] * +Jenna looks over at Thek
[22:01] <+Thek> ((Actually, he's acting like he's too good for the work, not the other way around))
[22:01] <+Jenna> "you think?"
[22:01] * +Jenna sneers a bit
[22:02] <+Jenna> ((I think I understood the meaning even though it was backwards :) ))
[22:02] <+Jaden> ((well I am always back asswards))
[22:02] <+Jenna> ((no comment :) ))
[22:03] <+Thek> ((Okay, just wanted to make sure))
[22:03] <+Jaden> ((Probably a good thing))
[22:03] <+Jaden> ::smiles at Jenna again:: "You gonna make it?"
[22:03] * +Jenna shrugs "what's the worst that can happen?
[22:03] <+Kanax> ((Death wish? hehe))
[22:03] <.Bynw> *the currents are fast as the slopes are steep off the mountside .... about 40 miles fly by in a days time*
[22:04] <+James> ::applies himself to the task at hand wholeheartedly::
[22:04] * +Jenna suddenly looks panicked and rushes to the side rail, hurling mightily
[22:04] <+Kanax> :: is startled by something hitting his oar from above ::
[22:05] <+Jenna> ((ewwwwwwwww))
[22:05] <+Kanax> ((nice shot ))
[22:05] <+Jaden> ::laughs a bit at Jenna's sickness:: "Hang in there sis."
[22:06] * +Jenna nods, wiping her face
[22:06] <+Jaden> ::takes a seat next to Jenna:: "I'll stay around for a bit."
[22:07] * +Jenna sits down and leans her head on Jaden's shoulder for support
[22:07] <+Jaden> ::puts an arm around her shoulder to comfort her::
[22:08] <+Jenna> "too many frickin' boats lately..."
[22:08] <+Jaden> ::idly watches the others:: "Well we could have walked."
[22:08] * +Jenna laughs slightly
[22:08] <+Jenna> "no this is better"
[22:08] * +Thek keeps working, despite the lazy people over by the rail doing nothing
[22:09] <+Jaden> ::laughs:: "So what do you think of these new traveling companions?"
[22:10] * +Jenna speaks low now "they're alright I guess - there's only one full elf for me though, ya know?"
[22:10] <.Bynw> *the captains has the "extra hands" working the day and his more experienced crews working the night, thus leaving the adventures time to themselves unless needed for emergancies ... there are no private quarters so the group shares a common room*
[22:11] <+Jaden> ::smiles:: "one too many in my opinion sis."
[22:11] <+Jenna> "I mean *was*... one..."
[22:11] * +Jenna looks a little sad
[22:12] <+Jaden> ::rubs Jenna's shoulder:: "I understand."
[22:12] <+Jenna> "we might as well go below, I do better there I think and it's getting late anyway"
[22:12] <+Jaden> ::stands up helping Jenna to her feet as well:: "Good idea."
[22:12] <.Bynw> ((this is good time for bonding and stuff))
[22:13] <+Kanax> :: works as late as needed, apparantly enjoying the distraction from his thoughts ::
[22:13] <+Jenna> ((* Bynw pulls out the super glue))
[22:13] <+Kanax> :: finds the common room, and locates a place to sit ::
[22:13] * +Thek stays above deck at night and watches the stars with Rathe
[22:13] <+Jaden> ::finds a spot for he and jenna to sit::
[22:14] * +Jenna nods to Kanax as he enters
[22:14] <+Jenna> ((trying to be sociable and all :) ))
[22:14] <+Jaden> "James enjoying the ride?"
[22:15] <+Kanax> :: nods :: "Been a while since I've spent a full day of labor.  Kind of nice."
[22:15] <+Jenna> "good to feel useful again for sure - as much as I can be I guess"
[22:15] * +Jenna manages a wan smile
[22:16] <+Jenna> "I'm much better on horseback or on foot, honest"
[22:16] <+Jaden> ::looks around the common room:: 
[22:17] <+James> "I'm better on horseback or foot, too, really."
[22:17] <+Kanax> "You feeling ok?  You nearly got me, earlier."
[22:18] <.Bynw> *the common room provides hammocks for sleeping and there are fresh water barrels, and dried fruits and meats plus cheese and bread.  There is also a small privy area* 
[22:18] <+Jaden> ::leans back head against teh wall listening to the conversation::
[22:19] <+Jenna> "not really but I'm better, thanks"
[22:19] <+Kanax> :: helps himself to some dried meat. ::  "I closed my shop about a month ago.  And that work wasn't very stressful."
[22:20] <+Jenna> "what kind of shop?"
[22:20] * +Jenna gets up to get a cup of water"
[22:20] <+Kanax> "Locksmith."
[22:20] * +Jenna nods
[22:20] <+Kanax> "Before that, I was in the Einarian army."
[22:21] <+Jenna> "I bet that was never boring"
[22:21] <+Jenna> ((is Rufus in the room with James?)
[22:22] <+Jaden> ::opens his eyes and looks around the room again:: "Hmmm."
[22:22] * +Jenna raises an eyebrow at Jaden
[22:22] <.Bynw> !! rufus is exploring the boat !!
[22:22] <+Kanax> "The army?  Hardly boring.  A bit too exciting, if you ask me."
[22:22] <+Jaden> ::smiles to himself::
[22:22] <+Jenna> ((describe Kanax please?))
[22:23] <.Bynw> (( yeah ... lets have everyone give a description ... starting with Kanax, Thek, Jaden, Jenna and James ))
[22:24] <+Jenna> ((I already did Jenna on Sunday))
[22:24] <+Jaden> ((I thought that human ranger did Jenna on Sunday?))
[22:24] <+Kanax> ((Just under 4 feet, with dark browish hair, braided in the back, and beard braided similarly.  When fully geared, he wears a very basic leather armor, dyed black, and three visible weapons (Scimitar at side, crossbow and an old looking waraxe strapped to his back) ))
[22:26] <+Thek> ((5'11, Dark brown hair, about shoulder length and very unkempt.  Blue eyes, and the standard elf features.  He has tanned skin, and is of a strong build.  His double bladed sword is always seen strapped to his back.))
[22:26] <+James> ((Rufus is here))
[22:26] <+James> ((Okay, I just read farther.  He's not here.))
[22:26] * +Mistyck (Mistyck@*.hstqtx02.dynamic.covad.net) Quit (User has been mind-ripped)
[22:27] <+Jenna> ((Jaden and Jenna are fraternal twins, and therefore look a great deal alike - Jenna's 5'10", 135, brown hair, green eyes, half-elf.  Jenna does have a distinguishing scar along her entire right forearm, obviously an old burn))
[22:28] * Mistyck (Mistyck@*.hstqtx02.dynamic.covad.net) has joined #Teara-Adan
[22:28] * Mistyck sets mode: +v Mistyck
[22:29] <+Jaden> ((jaden stands 2" taller than Jenna and slightly heavier.  Very similar features to Jenna, withthe same eye and hair color. He carries a short sword at his side and his long bow is very seldom far out of reach.))
[22:29] <.Bynw> (( description of james ))
[22:29] <+Jenna> "how's this boat ride treating you so far, James?"
[22:30] <+James> "I'm not really a boat person, but it's okay."
[22:30] <+Jaden> ::looks to Kanax:: "Kanax correct?  What was so important that you travel with us?"
[22:31] <+James> ((James is about 30, 5'10", dark hair and eyes, and the kind of 'farmer tan' one gets when one spends much time outdoors.))
[22:32] <+Kanax> :: looks to Jaden :: "Chadmyr suggested I follow you.  I'm looking for someone, but don't have anyplace to start.  So it made sense."
[22:34] <+Jaden> ::nods:: "I see, we are travelling to Paradise, do you think you may find answers there?"
[22:34] <+Kanax> "I hope so.  I'm convinced I won't find answers in Einar.  I'll try anywhere.
[22:35] <+Jaden> "I guess they can be a little tight lipped there."
[22:35] <.Bynw> (( the conversation is actually taking place over a series of nights as the work on the deck in the rigging and oars is hard and exhausting .. ))
[22:35] <+Kanax> ::shrugs:: "They don't have any reason to help or believe me."
[22:35] <+Thek> ::Heads down to the common room::
[22:36] <+Kanax> (( Works for me ))
[22:38] <+Jaden> ::smiles and slightly to himself:: "I know the feeling."
[22:38] <+Jaden> ::looks up as Thek enters:: 
[22:39] * +Jenna nods to Thek in a friendly manner as he enters, then takes another sip of water
[22:39] <+Kanax> ::Nods to Thek::
[22:39] * +Mistyck (Mistyck@*.hstqtx02.dynamic.covad.net) Quit (User has been mind-ripped)
[22:39] <+Jaden> ::then whispers to Jenna:: "Look the high and mighty elf has decided to grace us withhis prescence."
[22:39] * +Thek nods to the group, and finds a place to rest
[22:39] * +Thek shoots Jaden a cold look on his way past
[22:39] * Mistyck (Mistyck@*.hstqtx02.dynamic.covad.net) has joined #Teara-Adan
[22:39] * Mistyck sets mode: +v Mistyck
[22:40] * +Jenna attempts not to smile (and fails)
[22:40] <+Jaden> ::smiles broadly at Thek::
[22:41] <+Kanax> :: settles in for the night ::
[22:42] <.Bynw> *the days go quickly as there are no stops ... just a quick course down the raging river towards the great lake below*
[22:42] * +Jenna hurls at least once a day, but usually recovers enough to survive
[22:43] <+Jaden> ::continues his assigned duties during the day and helping Jenna survive at night::
[22:44] <.Bynw> *at last the current becomes more manageble as the land levels out as the boat finally reaches the base of the mountains and the river beings to widen and finally opens into the great lake*
[22:45] <.Bynw> *heading north and slighly east the boat now uses its sails and rigging more then the oars ... allowing more free time to the crew*
[22:46] <+Jaden> ::leans on the deck taking in some fresh air and enjoying the sunny day::
[22:46] <.Bynw> *and water becomes all that can be seen.  across the horizon in all directions as the adventures enter their 11th day of travel*
[22:46] * +Jenna helps gladly with the sails, anything to get the journey completed
[22:46] <+Kanax> :: mans the oars as needed, but spends a bit more time talking to Jaden and the others ::
[22:47] <+Kanax> "What takes you to Paradise?"
[22:47] <+Jaden> "Coincidentally, I am looking for some one as well."
[22:47] <.Bynw> *the crew do chat about how they are happy that this is spring and not the fall... and how the gails of november can be dangerous*
[22:48] * +Jenna approaches Thek one lazy afternoon "hi"
[22:48] <+Kanax> "I hope then that your reasons are less grim than mine."
[22:48] * +Thek continues working, as Rathe moves over to sniff her "Greetings"
[22:48] * +Jenna holds a hand out to Rathe in an inviting manner
[22:49] <+Jaden> ::smiles slightly at Kanax's last comment:: "Probably not."
[22:49] * +Jenna tries to start a conversation "are you a native of Einar then?"
[22:50] <+Kanax> :: nods sadly ::  "Well, with luck then, we'll both find what we seek."
[22:50] <+Thek> "I am"
[22:51] <+Jenna> "all kinds of rumors and legends about Einar outside it's borders - makes one wary"
[22:51] <+Jaden> "I am sure I will find what I seek, but I doubt it will be the end of my quest."
[22:51] <.Bynw> (( has anyone been on the ocean or the great lakes too see nothing but water in all directions ... no land what so ever?? ))
[22:51] <+Thek> ((Not me))
[22:52] <+Jaden> ((In real life or in game?))
[22:52] <.Bynw> (( IRL ))
[22:52] <+Thek> "It's not so bad"
[22:52] <+Thek> ((Oh, then yes))
[22:52] <+Jaden> ((yeah))
[22:53] <+Kanax> (( Yeah ))
[22:53] <+James> ((IRL, yes.))
[22:53] <.Bynw> (( just so you know what the character is experiencing now))
[22:54] <+Jenna> ((yes))
[22:54] <+Kanax> :: nods again ::
[22:54] <+Thek> ((You mean... "Oooooooh, god I hope we don't sink"?))
[22:55] <+Jenna> ((LOL))
[22:55] <+Jenna> ((didn't have that on a guided missle destroyer :) ))
[22:55] <+Jaden> ::looks over to Kanax:: "Well if anything its a good start."
[22:56] <+Kanax> "That's what I'm thinking.  I don't have much to go on, but there's nothing for me in Einar now..."
[22:56] <+Jaden> "Ahh, too bad, it is rough being away from home."
[22:57] <.Bynw> *on the 3rd day out on the lake the boat beings to head due east*
[22:58] <+Jenna> ((to Jaden)) "back towards home again"
[22:58] <+Jaden> ::looks thoughfully:: "Yeah"
[22:59] <+Jaden> ::looks around:: "so what do you think of his highness?" ::nodding towards Thek::
[23:00] <+Thek> ((Do I by any chance hear this?))
[23:00] * +Jenna shrugs "he's okay I guess"
[23:00] <.Bynw> ! listen check unless Jaden says you can automatically hear it !
[23:02] <+Thek> ((Jaden? I assume no?))
[23:02] <+Jaden> ((how close was he at teh time, I didn't think he was very close to us.))
[23:02] <+Jaden> ((It wasn't whispered but it wasn't said loudly))
[23:03] <+Thek> ((Well, I thought he was fairly close after Jenna talked to him...))
[23:03] <+Jaden> ::nods as he lounges against teh deck:: "I see."
[23:04] <+Jenna> ((not necessarily, it's a different day))
[23:04] <.Bynw> (( it could be a different day))
[23:04] <+Jaden> ((that is what I thought as well))
[23:04] <+Kanax> :: shrugs :: "I hadn't met him before Chadmyr introduced him.  He reminds me of the sculptor that lived down the way from me."
[23:04] <+Thek> ((Okay, I guess 'm too far away then))
[23:05] <+James> ((I'll be leaving in 10 mins or so.))
[23:05] <.Bynw> !! roll your listen check Thek !!
[23:05] <+Thek> d20+4
[23:05] * +Palamedes rolls the dice for Thek (d20+4) and rolled 16.
[23:05] <.Bynw> !! nope didnt hear it, must be too far away from them ... you have been keeping to yourself a lot !!
[23:06] <+Jaden> ::Looks over to Kanax:: "The sculptor?"
[23:07] <+Jaden> "Sounds as if you had quite a bit of merchants back home."
[23:08] <+Kanax> :: shakes his head :: "He wasn't a merchant.  He was an artist.  His work became popular a while back, and he suddenly became "better" than his neighbors."
[23:09] <+Kanax> I'm not sure if it's his looks that remind me, but it's just a feeling.
[23:09] <+Jaden> ::smiles:: "I think I know what you are getting at."
[23:09] * +Jenna grins
[23:09] <.Bynw> *by the 13th day land can be seen on the eastern horizon once again as the riverboat approaches the settlement of "Seafort-on-Lake" ... a merchant shanty town, and storehouse of goods*
[23:10] * +Jenna scratches at her arm absent mindedly as the town comes into view
[23:11] <+James> ::is glad to see land again::
[23:12] * +Thek just keeps workin'
[23:13] <.Bynw> *it is not until 3 days later that the boat finally docs just before sunset at the merchant town ... the town is very much alive with many taverns and inns along the docs as places to unwind after a long travel across the great lake*
Bynw da GM
The World of Teara Adan
Founding Four Member