• Welcome to Teara Adan Adventures.

News:

The Teara Adan campaign is using Polyhedral Fudge

Main Menu

Chapter 2 Episode 2

Started by Bynw, 08 November 2006, 17:30:44

Previous topic - Next topic

Bynw

[19:51] <.Bynw> RECAP:  Having travelled for a couple of weeks across Adan the party has come to stop in the highly Deryni held Tornt City.  Capital of the Earls of Tornt.  Here they rest and get ready for the final leg of their journey to Kirsh.
[19:52] <.Bynw> END RECAP
[19:53] <.Bynw> *the city dawns with talk about the surviving member of a druidic community that was destroyed in a fire at Kirsh.  Its all over on the lips of everyone, and the most talked about topic in the inns and taverns common rooms* 
[19:53] <+James> ::James listens::
[19:54] * +Kanax frowns, wondering aloud to his companions if it will be possible to separate the gossip from the truth.
[19:55] <+James> "I'm hoping he's nearby, Kanax.  I want to talk to him if he is."
[19:55] * +Jenna looks at Kanax "No"
[19:56] <.Bynw> *Ibon listens intently to several people and moves from table to table hoping to hear more *
[19:56] * +Seanna listens and fiddles with rings on her fingers
[19:57] <.Bynw> *after about an hour Ibon rejoins the others*
[19:57] <+James> "What's the news, Ibon?"
[19:58] * +Jenna sits in the corner brooding, looking very much like her brother for the moment
[19:58] <.Bynw> *ibon* "Apparently there is a survivor from the attack.  A child."
[19:59] * +Jenna raises an eyebrow "really?"
[19:59] <+James> "How young?  And where?"
[20:01] <.Bynw> "A caravan left Lord Benedict's stronghold about 3 days ago ... the age of the child isnt known ... at least by anyone local ... 10 or under from the descriptions.  The caravan was heading to Montare."
[20:01] * +James (James@*.as1.dytn.oh.core.com) Quit (User has been mind-ripped)
[20:03] * James (James@*.as1.dytn.oh.core.com) has joined #Teara-Adan
[20:03] <.Bynw> "A caravan left Lord Benedict's stronghold about 3 days ago ... the age of the child isnt known ... at least by anyone local ... 10 or under from the descriptions.  The caravan was heading to Montare."
[20:03] <+Jenna> "did they get any information from the child at all?"
[20:04] <.Bynw> *ibon shrugs* "I dont know.  No one has said anything about it"
[20:04] * Bynw sets mode: +v James
[20:05] <+James> "Does anyone have an item that came with the child from the attack, perchance?  Torn clothes that were replaced, maybe."
[20:06] <.Bynw> "I dont know.  But we could intercept this caravan if we can get to St Shea's Abby which is just out side of Kirsh today."
[20:07] <+James> "Let's go, then.  It's our best chance of finding out what we'll be facing."
[20:07] <+Seanna> "agreed"
[20:07] * +Kanax nods.
[20:08] <.Bynw> *ibon doesnt move and looks james directly in the eyes*  "Its a 2 day hard ride from here"
[20:08] <+Seanna> "better we start now then!"
[20:08] <+James> "Not possible, then?"
[20:09] * +Kanax frowns, "You're not coming, are you?"
[20:09] <.Bynw> "not by horse"
[20:09] <+Seanna> "is there a portal nearby?"
[20:09] <+James> "You think there's a portal there?"
[20:09] <.Bynw> *Ibon laughs*  "I forget you arent adanian."
[20:10] <+James> "I'll bet Lord benedict has one, if there's one on the other side."
[20:10] <.Bynw> "this IS tornt city.  The anadari knights were formed here."
[20:11] <.Bynw> "there is a public portal in the square"
[20:11] * +Jenna appears relieved
[20:11] <+James> "I know.  I was wondering about the abby.  It takes two portals."
[20:11] <+James> ((James said that before 'public portal'))
[20:12] <+Seanna> "alright, then, it's decided...Ibon, do you know the signature of the portal we would need to go to?"
[20:12] <.Bynw> *ibon* "According to one the locals.  The abby does have a portal.  And for a modest fee they will let one use it.  I think it is also customery to leave a schilling or two at the portal here in the square"
[20:13] <+James> "We have money."
[20:13] <.Bynw> *Ibon*  "My Deryni blood is too thin.  I have no talents in that regard.  But apparently at the Portal here, the signature is of several portals is noted."
[20:13] <+Seanna> "good"
[20:13] * +Seanna has enough training to get us all there hopefully!
[20:14] <.Bynw> "I know that James was Deryni.  I take it you are as well Seanna?"
[20:14] <+James> ((James can use a portal, too.))
[20:14] <+Seanna> "some of us are, yes"
[20:15] <.Bynw> *Ibon* "Now lets go so we can intercept that caravan"
[20:15] <+Seanna> "Lead us to the square Ibon"
[20:15] <+James> "Those of us who are can get the others through."
[20:16] <+James> ::James rises::
[20:17] * +Jenna follows
[20:17] <+Seanna> ::Seanna follows""
[20:17] <.Bynw> *the group makes its way to the market place where they catch bits of conversation relating to the caravan and the survivor.
[20:17] <+James> ::James heads to the square::
[20:18] * +Kanax follows James, a bit lost on the whole notion of portals and such.
[20:18] <.Bynw> *in the midde of the square is a large raised platform, some 5 steps leading up to it.  And some 20 feet across in size.
[20:19] <+James> "That looks like our portal."
[20:20] <.Bynw> *there are a few people walking up the steps and dropping some coins to the stones at their feet and then vanishing from sight.  And every now and again someone just appears on the dias and also drops coins at thier feet before moving down the steps.*
[20:21] * +Seanna heads for the square also
[20:22] <+Seanna> pulls out a few coins from her purse
[20:22] * +Kanax gulps slightly, then follows suit.
[20:22] * +Jenna grins, grabs Kanax's hand and says "c'mon it's not so bad"
[20:22] <.Bynw> *Ibon pats Kanax on the shoulders*  "Don't worry, I've been on a few Portal jumps"
[20:23] <+Kanax> That's what they said when I joined the military...
[20:23] * +Kanax follows.
[20:23] <+James> ::James heads to the portal and looks for the signatures of destinations::
[20:23] <+Jenna> "just stand still, it'll be over before you know it"
[20:24] * +Kanax fumes, "And THAT'S what they said when I was about to get married!"
[20:24] <+Seanna> ::looks for signatures also::
[20:25] <+Seanna> @@James, you know where we think we're supposed to be going?@@
[20:25] * +Jenna flips a coin into the bucket then places a hand over Kanax's forehead while finding the correct location signature
[20:26] * +Kanax mutters, "And I remember how badly THAT went..." Thankfully, he remains relatively still for what's about to happen.
[20:27] <+Seanna> "it's not really that bad, Kanax"
[20:27] <+James> ((Do I "hear" Seanna, or do we need Mental Contact rolls?))
[20:27] <.Bynw> *the top of the dias is littered with coins, gold and silver abundantly thrown all over.  A small fortune.  Another stone raised indicates several destinations and provides the signatures for them*
[20:27] * +Jenna winks, shifts the energies and disappears along with Kanax
[20:27] <.Bynw> !! if you want to hear her ... you can ... it was directed at you !!
[20:27] <+James> ::James goes over to the destinations stone::
[20:28] * +Jenna mutters "big baby" as they depart, grinning
[20:28] * +Seanna follows
[20:28] <+James> ((Just not sure when rolls are needed for mindspeech))
[20:28] * +Kanax appears, "Hey now!"
[20:28] * +Seanna goes over to where Jenna was standing and concentrates on what message she left behind about the destination
[20:29] <.Bynw> ((none normally))
[20:29] <.Bynw> !! ibon and Kanax will need to be taken through by someone !!
[20:29] <+James> ((I thought Jenna just took Kanax))
[20:29] <+Kanax> ((was, by Jenna))
[20:30] <+James> "I'll take Ibon through"
[20:30] <.Bynw> k
[20:30] <+Seanna> "ok...follow me.."
[20:30] * +Seanna gives the portal signature to James and goes to join Jenna and Kanax
[20:30] <+James> ::to Ibon:: "We'll go after Seanna."
[20:31] <.Bynw> *the portal jump to the non-deryni gives them a feeling of vertigo and falling with no other sensations, not even the ground under their feet ... but only for a moment*
[20:32] <+James> ::James steps on the portal:: "Ready, Ibon?  This might feel a bit odd."
[20:32] * +Kanax growls, "Not that bad? The whole world just fell away from my feet! And you call that "not bad" Harumph!"
[20:32] <+James> ::James tosses some coins in the basket::
[20:33] * +Jenna chuckles and releases Kanax
[20:33] <+Kanax> (( stops jumping ahead ))
[20:35] <.Bynw> *as the rest of the group arrives in short order ... the monks of the abby welcome the strangers and glady over them blessings and prayers and of course advise them that the coffers are low.*
[20:36] <+James> ::James makes a donation from the money the Druids provided.::
[20:36] * +Seanna does too..
[20:37] * +Kanax is still a bit too flustered to dig for money...
[20:39] <.Bynw> Ibon also gives a sizable donation and inquires about the caravan from Kirsh.  The answer he gets back makes his heart sink.*
[20:39] <.Bynw> *monk*  "Oh my brother, I regret to inform you that the caravan was attacked by fearsome creatures just before it left the forest of that forsaken land.  There was a survior, a dwarf .. but he didnt live past yesterday."
[20:40] * +Kanax blinks.
[20:40] * +Jenna sighs in exasperation, pinching the bridge of her nose
[20:40] <.Bynw> *the monk relates has he leads the group outside and into the abby's court yard*
[20:41] <+Seanna> "Is there any way we can get to the last survivor? Has he been buried yet?"
[20:41] <+James> "Well, that tells us something, I guess.  Be prepared for fearsome creatures.  It's a shame about the caravan, though." ::bows head in respect for the dead::
[20:41] * +Kanax frowns, still listening.
[20:42] <+James> ::To Seanna:: "A death-reading?"
[20:42] <+Seanna> "Yes, what's left of it by now"
[20:43] <+Seanna> "Even fleeting memories may be of help"
[20:43] <+James> "Not much, probably, but I guess any knowledge will help."
[20:43] <.Bynw> *monk* "His body was returned to Kirsh in accordance with Dwarven Law.   Our brothers preformed a Reading on him, even before he died and then again aftwards. "
[20:44] <+James> "What did they learn?"
[20:44] <+Seanna> "Would it be possible to read these brothers of what they Read?"
[20:48] <+Seanna> ((is anybody home?))
[20:49] <+James> ((No, you peered.))
[20:49] <+Seanna> ((lol!))
[20:49] <+James> ((Maybe we lost Iowa, though.))
[20:49] <.Bynw> *monk*  "I a cannot tell you my Brother.  It would break the seals of our office.  However, there was a young huntsman that alerted us to the caravan.  He may tell you what he knows if he so desires"  *the monk is leading them party over to a man with a shock of platinum blonde hair in chain mail tending to a long sword in hand that he is shapenning*
[20:49] * Mjolnir is now known as Lars_Revik
[20:50] * +Seanna heads over to the young man
[20:50] <.Bynw> *Monk* "Brother Lars ... I would like you to meet some guest" *he says in greeting*
[20:50] <+James> "Hello, sir.  I am James of the Paradise Druids."
[20:50] <+Seanna> "Hello Brother Lars"
[20:50] * Lars_Revik sharpens his blade to a fine edge...and then looks up, with keen azure eyes at these strangers
[20:50] <+Seanna> "I am Seanna of Paradise City"
[20:50] * Lars_Revik nods
[20:50] <.Bynw> *the monk raises an eyebrow at jame's remark*
[20:51] <Lars_Revik> "Greetings, travellers.. I am Lars Revik, how may I be of service to you?"
[20:51] <+Seanna> ::takes Brother Lars by the arm and leads him a bit away::
[20:51] * +Jenna nods back
[20:51] * Lars_Revik goes with Seanna
[20:51] <.Bynw> *Ibon just stands back and watches the man*
[20:51] <+Seanna> "Brother Lars, may I ask you a rather delicate question?"
[20:52] <+James> "We're told you  . . . " ::stops as Seanna leads him away::
[20:52] <Lars_Revik> "If it serves a purpose"
[20:52] <+Seanna> "yes it would indeed serve a noble purpse"
[20:52] <Lars_Revik> "Then I am in your service" and I bow
[20:53] <Lars_Revik> "Ask me your question, my lady"
[20:54] * +Seanna asks as she holds onto Lars' arm..
[20:55] <.Bynw> (( go ahead and ask it here, we know you are out of earshot of the others))
[20:55] * +Kanax just watches, still a bit traumatized.
[20:55] <+Seanna> "Sir, I have heard that you were with the last caravan that went towards the forsaken land"
[20:56] * Lars_Revik lowers his head, in thought,, and seemingly, anguish
[20:56] <+Seanna> "would you be kind enough to relay your tale of that time?
[20:56] * Lars_Revik looks up, and into the eyes of Seanna..
[20:58] <+Seanna> d20+8
[20:58] * +Palamedes rolls the dice for Seanna (d20+8) and rolled 27.
[20:58] <Lars_Revik> I was in the caravan, aye, and I would know your reason for asking me this. If you are to seek out the foul beast that slew them, I would accompany you to seek out justice. 
[20:59] <+Seanna> yes I would...and to make sure I can find a way to not fall prey to them
[21:02] <Lars_Revik> I was hunting in the woods of the Earldom, when I encountered the caravan of dwarves..I met them on friendly terms, and supped with them and then went about my business. As I was about the wood, I heard a great shouting, and ran back to see what was the matter. I only saw a few of them retreating back into the forest, Owlbears, but there must have been more than I saw, for the entire caravan was slain, dwarf and pack animal alike. It was a grim scene..
[21:02] <+Seanna> ahh...
[21:03] <+Jenna> ((hey no fair we've already encountered Owlbears (as players)!!!))
[21:03] <+Seanna> you couldn't see what set upon the dwarves then?
[21:03] <+James> ((Only you have, Tika.))
[21:03] <.Bynw> (( but not this character though ))
[21:03] * +Kanax lowers his head...
[21:04] <Lars_Revik> I know that the forest is tightly controlled by the earl, but there are packs of wild beasts, dire animals and such. I saw the owlbears leaving the remains of the caravan, but I could do nothing.
[21:04] <Lars_Revik> Only one dwarf remained alive, and I brought him here.. 
[21:04] <Lars_Revik> .. to late, I was.
[21:04] <+Kanax> What was his name?
[21:04] <Lars_Revik> ((too))
[21:05] <+Seanna> "that is through no fault of yours, Lars"
[21:05] <+Seanna> "you did the best you could and for that you are to be commended"
[21:05] <+James> ((I thought Kanax was with the rest of us.))
[21:05] <+Seanna> "may I ask yet another favor?"
[21:05] * Lars_Revik nods, solemly
[21:05] <Lars_Revik> aye
[21:06] * _Kagi_  has joined #Teara-Adan
[21:06] <+James> ((Hi, Nym))
[21:06] * _Kagi_ is now known as Nym
[21:06] <+Seanna> "may I look into your mind to see if there is anything else about the encounter with owlbears you may not consciously remember?  I promise I will let you keep consciousness of my being in your mind so you know where I go...and I promise you I seek only the knowledge of your encounter with the caravan"
[21:07] <Nym> (('ello))
[21:07] <Lars_Revik> "The dwarf that remained alive, sir, he was a mage, by the look. His name was Garrok."
[21:07] <+James> ((Kanax went with Seanna and Lars?))
[21:07] <+Kanax> ((Sorry, forgot)
[21:07] <+Jenna> ((I'll be away for a bit - hiya Nym! ;) ))
[21:07] <+Kanax> ((Ignore me))
[21:08] <+Seanna> "Lars, I will NOT enter your mind without your permission...may I have your permission?  The information may help save all of our lives..."
[21:08] <Lars_Revik> "If it will help, you may do your mind magic"
[21:08] <+Seanna> "thank you, Lars...I promise it won't hurt and I promise I won't look to anything besides the encounter with the owlbears and the caravan"
[21:09] * Lars_Revik stands still, and closes his eyes, allowing Seanna probe his mind
[21:09] <.Bynw> (( any resistance Lars_Revik? ))
[21:09] <Nym> msg bynw anything special about this session?
[21:09] <Lars_Revik> (no sir))
[21:10] <+James> ((With Bynw and Tika's busy schedule, Nym, the fact that we're even playing again is special.))
[21:19] <+Seanna> "ok...thank you Lars, you have been most helpful"
[21:20] <.Bynw> *it has only been a few heartbeats since Seanna had asked Lars if she could enter his mind*
[21:20] * Lars_Revik opens his eyes, and smiles
[21:20] * +Seanna briefs Jenna and James on waht she finds out...there was another caravan...the child was in that caravan..."
[21:21] <Lars_Revik> "You are a beautiful person, Seanna" I say, with a grin :)
[21:22] <+Kanax> ((Uh oh, he's smitten))
[21:23] <+Seanna> ((Seanna does have quite a charisma :)  ))
[21:23] <+Seanna> ((17))
[21:23] * Lars_Revik sheaths his longsword, and approaches the others
[21:23] <.Bynw> *Monk*  "Father James.  If you seek the other caravan.  It has taken the south roads out of Kirsh.  Some say it has a Deryni driving it."
[21:24] <Lars_Revik> "If it pleases you all, I would take a place among you.. I offer my services as a fighter."
[21:24] <+Seanna> @@to James and Jenna@@ we could use another fighter@@
[21:24] <+James> "Is there a portal jump we can take to get ahead of the other caravan?"
[21:25] <+James> @@Yes, we could@@
[21:26] <+James> "We're seeking information on what happened to the Druids of Kirsh."
[21:26] <Lars_Revik> "Ive heard of what happened from the monks here, sir.. I dont know your name" ((to James))
[21:27] <+James> "I'm James of the Paradise Druids."
[21:27] <+James> "What have you heard?"
[21:28] <+James> ((The name is Bond.  James Bond.))
[21:28] <+Seanna> ((lol~))
[21:28] <Lars_Revik> "I am Lars. I have only heard that the druids were killed, not much more beyond that, but I can guess that you all have something that might tell who is to blame for the travesty"
[21:28] <+James> "No, that's what we seek to find out."
[21:30] <+James> "Who or what, what danger they are to others, and how they can be stopped if they are still a danger."
[21:30] * Lars_Revik nods
[21:30] <Lars_Revik> "Indeed, James."
[21:30] <.Bynw> *Ibon* "The caravan was attacked by Owlbears you say?"
[21:31] <Lars_Revik> "Aye, sir, that is the truth. I saw only a few getting away."
[21:31] <.Bynw> *Monk* "There is a prortal at St Anthony's Cathedral.  That should get you close enough to them.  Purhaps even ahead of the other caravan."
[21:31] <+Seanna> "Only a few owlbears or only a few of the caravaners?"
[21:32] <+James> "The last time i was in Kirsh, I met a group that had been attacked by owlbears.  It was when I met Ibon."
[21:32] <.Bynw> *Ibon* "Then I have a suspision that there is more than 1 survivor."
[21:33] <+James> "I think we should go to St Anthony's, then.  Time is short and we can fight owlbears in Kirsh forest another day."
[21:34] <Lars_Revik> "Yes, to get at the heart of the matter is what is most important"
[21:35] <.Bynw> *Ibon*  "We will need to get horses from St Anthony's and ride to Kirsh as fast as we can.  The other caravan is in danger already.  The druids do not take kindly to their own being kidnapped."
[21:36] <Lars_Revik> ((brb))
[21:36] * _Kagi_  has joined #Teara-Adan
[21:37] <+James> ((Hi again))
[21:37] <.Bynw> (( you need to get that registered ))
[21:37] <+Seanna> "agreed"
[21:37] <_Kagi_> ((working on it))
[21:37] <+Seanna> "to St. Anthony's then!
[21:37] <+Seanna> "
[21:38] <Lars_Revik> ((back))
[21:38] * +Kanax follows, "Wait a minute... You want me to get BACK on that.... thing?"
[21:38] <+James> ::smiles at Kanax:: "You up for another portal ride?"
[21:38] * Lars_Revik grins
[21:39] * +Kanax grumbles, "Why not just gut me now and get it over with..."
[21:39] * +Kanax follows, nonetheless.
[21:39] <+Seanna> "c'mon Kanax...don't be such a wuss!"
[21:39] <+James> ((It's the only way to fly . . . ))
[21:39] * Lars_Revik follows Seanna
[21:39] <.Bynw> ** ENDING HERE **
Bynw da GM
The World of Teara Adan
Founding Four Member