Previous topic - Next topic

Bynw

19:30 <~bynw> |------------------------------------------------
19:30 <~bynw> |          IMPERIAL DREAMS - SESSION 10
19:30 <~bynw> |
19:30 <~bynw> | While waiting for the evening dinning. The pair
19:30 <~bynw> | have discovered an Anadari hiding behind a
19:30 <~bynw> | warded and deserted wing of the compound.
19:30 <~bynw> | Letting the 2 inside the wards, the man
19:30 <~bynw> | introduces himself as 'Master Jebadiah". And
19:30 <~bynw> | is a survivor in the Anadari war agaisnt the
19:30 <~bynw> | Portal plague.
19:31 <~bynw> *Jebadiah returns from his private kitchen with a kettle of tea and 3 poured cups*
19:31 <~bynw> *he sets them down on the table*
19:32  * Alianna sits on a chair near the table and takes a cup of tea.
19:32 <~bynw> "You wish to discuss the Portal plague?" *he says while sipping some tea*
19:32  * Alianna prepares to listen to Alderic's and Master Jebadiah's conversation.
19:33 < Alderic> "Yes Master Jebadiah. I'd like to try my hand at possibly solving the problem."
19:34 < Alderic> "I have a theory that it might be related to the Matrix in Kirsh, possibly started by a man named Chadwick."
19:35 <~bynw> *he chokes a bit on sip* "You have training. I can See that. And your's is far better than her's" *he says while nodding in Alianna's direction.*
19:36 <~bynw> *he sets down his cup and leans in closer to the pair* "Have you ever had to actually use your training? Not just a mental sparring with a skilled adept. But have you ever had to fight for your life with your mental prowess?"
19:41 <~bynw> *he sits back in his chair picking the cup back up*
19:43 <~bynw> "We don't know how many Portals have been infected. We don't know how many people who have used those Portals or have been in Rapport with someone who has used those Portals. It's spread was too quick. But we can remove it from infected Portals."
19:44  * Alianna hesitates.  "No, I've never had to use my Deryni abilities to fight for my life.  I usually depend on my sword or my pistol for that."
19:46 < Alderic> ::Raises an eyebrow at the Anadari:: "Me either. I'm afraid your mistaken about me. My arts are...different."
19:49 <~bynw> *snorts* "We have removed the infection from nearly a dozen Portals. At the cost of over 100 Anadari who either became infected themselves or died in the process."
19:50 < Alianna> "My gods, it takes the lives of ten Anadari per Portal?!"
19:51 <~bynw> "The Spectral's themselves have offered magic to help. But it hasn't been as effective ... it seems the infestation has a resistance to magic."
19:51 < Alderic> "A waste."
19:52 < Alianna> "Indeed."
19:52 <~bynw> "No my dear." *He says answering Alianna* "There are many more Portals we have destroyed because we could not cure it."
19:53 < Alianna> "Would it help to destroy the entire network of Portals and rebuild, or would that just be a waste of energy and resources?"
19:54 < Alderic> "New portals would be infected by carriers when they stepped through."
19:54 < Alianna> "Shit."
19:54 < Alianna> "Why aren't the Gates affected?  Do we know?"
19:55 <~bynw> "We could do that. But without stopping the plague itself. Reinfection would just happen over and over again."
19:55 < Alianna> "So it would basically be a waste of time, energy, and resources."
19:56 < Alianna> "Is there any way to cure a person of the plague?"
19:56 <~bynw> "The Gates are created with magic rather than the mind. They seem to be unaffected everytime we Mind-See any of them."
19:57 <~bynw> "Most people who are affected die sooner or later. To save a Portal you must effectively mind-rip it."
19:57 < Alianna> "Well, fuck.  That shoots my next idea."
19:59 <~bynw> *his hands shake as he holds the cup of tea and his Shields visibly flare out from him almost knocking the both of you over with its quake*
20:00  * Alianna sets down her teacup, steadies her chair, and flares her shields unconsciously, again giving her an oddly angelic red halo.
20:00 < Alderic> ::Flinches, stands and takes a step back::
20:01  * Alianna swears under her breath as the hot tea spilled onto her hand during the Shield flare.
20:02 <~bynw> *composses himself again* "A side affect of winning rather that loosing against the plague."
20:02 <~bynw> "What makes you think this Chadwick is responsible?"
20:02 < Alianna> "Are you going to die because of the plague?"
20:04 <~bynw> "Oh I believe I may since I will fight it at every encounter. It will wear me down eventually."
20:05 < Alianna> "You're that resigned to it, then?"
20:06 < Alderic> "Have any mages tried to help the survivors like yourself?"
20:07 <~bynw> "It has destroyed our society, our way of life that has been in existance for centuries. Even before the Anadari existed."
20:08 < Alianna> "Is there any way to isolate the sick people, not to be unkind, but to protect the healthy people?"
20:08 <~bynw> "Because some magics resemble our powers and seem to be stoppable by Shields and even have some reactions to merasha. There has been limited experimentation. I don't have the details of those, the Council would know."
20:10  * Alianna sits and thinks.
20:11 <~bynw> "Unlike your typical illness. There is no discoloration of the skin. There are no marks upon the body. There are no visible wounds. Every person and every portal must be subjected to a Mind-Seeing from someone who knows what to look for ... otherwise you would never know they are infected."
20:11 < Alianna> "Shit shit and double shit."
20:13 <~bynw> *he looks up as if staring off into the distance* "Why did you think this druid Chadwick is involved? He .. should be dead by now ... but I See ... "
20:15 < Alianna> "What the shit are you guys talking about?"
20:15 < Alderic> ::Nods and takes a seat again, slowly. He sips the tea:: "Chadwick has found a way to regenerate from death. I would be surprised if he where dead."
20:17 <~bynw> "Why do you think he is involved?"
20:20 < Alderic> ::To Alianna:: "Chadwick is an insane druid of Kirsh. He has been killed several times, even had his head seperated from his body. Each time he has returned. He is psychotic, a killer that has all civilization. My father fought him. Last my father knew he had gained control of an extremely powerful artifact called a Matrix. Though my father believes someone controls Chadwick. A greater evil behind him."
20:20 < Alderic> ((killer that hates all civilization))
20:22 < Alianna> ::quietly:: "Holy shit."
20:26 < Alderic> "The Portal Plague is psionic and kills with madness. It smacks of the Matrix in Kirsh."
20:26 <~bynw> "He is an interesting fellow." *again Jebadiah is staring off into space, not focusing on anything*
20:26 < Alderic> "Chadwick would not sit idle on a Matrix and do...nothing. He is working towards an end."
20:27 < Alianna> "What end?  The death of us all?"
20:28 < Alderic> "And finally, I believe that the power behind Chadwick is responsible for many of the calamities that have befallen Adan in years past."
20:28 <~bynw> *a smile comes to the Anadari Master's face* "He isn't human ... I have his shatterpoint."
20:29  * Alianna looks very confused. "His shatterpoint?"
20:30 <~bynw> *Jebadiah blinks and returns his focus to the two before him* "Well it seems you may be on to something ... No one has looked at him before have they."
20:30 < Alderic> ::Alianna:: "If I understand the Master, his weakness. An Anadari places maximum force to the weakest point of a system. This is the theory on how they accomplish such amazing feats."
20:30  * Alianna frowns.
20:31 < Alderic> "Some of the oldest members of House Horizon touched his mind. They fought him in mental combat."
20:33 <~bynw> "I know that already. But few if any have looked at him. They have all looked for him and usually found nothing. Pressumed hiding behind the power of a Matrix which is one reason the plague must be stopped. For if it reaches a Matrix of power we may be all dead."
20:34  * Alianna looks alarmed at Master Jebadiah's last.
20:37 < Alderic> "What do you know Master Jebidiah?"
20:38 <~bynw> "Dear lady. You know of Portals, and the great public network of Portals that streach across the Quarte from ancient times. Built by the adepts of long ago before Adan was."
20:39 < Alianna> "Yes."
20:40 <~bynw> "And there is also the Ecclesiastical network of Portals. And countly private Portals as well ..."
20:40 < Alianna> "Of course."
20:46 <~bynw> "Each portal takes power to create. Each portal gets reinforced with every use. They are a matrix of sorts ... after thousands of years of use they are well established and very hard to destroy. And the plague and use that resivoure of power to protect itself."
20:48 <~bynw> "The adepts of long ago ... 5000 years or more. The same that created are public network of Portals. Created powerfull resivoures of psychic energy simply called a Matrix. They were hidden away in remote locations. Kirsh is the most well known."
20:49 <~bynw> "if these fall to the plague it could tap enough power to wipe out all of humanity."
20:50 < Alianna> "Oh my gods.  WHY would somebody want to do that?"
20:53 <~bynw> "To answer that question would give you who."
20:53 < Alderic> "Chadwick would."
20:54 < Alderic> "And he has a Matrix."
20:55 <~bynw> *Jebadiah* "He has motive. He would like to see humanity become extinct. But if he has a Matrix, why not infect it."
20:57 < Alderic> "I don't know. Perhaps he needs that Matrix to create the Plague or maintain it. You said the portals are nearly a Matrix unto themselves, perhaps Chadwick IS the plague. Invading THAT Matrix with the aid of his. Locked in a slow motion battle."
20:58 <~bynw> "I better take care of some formalities before we get too much further. Master Rose would be unhappy if I did not aid her."
20:59 < Alianna> "What is he if not human?"
21:00 <~bynw> *he looks over at Alianna* "Lower your Shields"
21:00  * Alianna looks somewhat alarmed.  "Why?"
21:00 <~bynw> "I must Mind-See you both to be certain you are not infected."
21:01 < Alianna> "But you've been infected.  How can I allow you into my mind without becoming infected myself?"
21:01 < Alderic> ::Raises an eyebrow at the Anadari::
21:03 <~bynw> *Jebadiah* "I haven't been infected. I have been in battle against it and have won. You cannot become infected through my mind touching yours."
21:03 -!- Sarah [Mibbit@OWIRCN-944dc02e.teleclipse.net] has joined #teara-adan
21:05  * Alianna looks very skeptical and turns her gaze to Alderic.
21:06 <~bynw> "You are here to see the Council. Master Rose will not take you there unless I Mind-See you. It's as simple as that."
21:14 < Alderic> "I asked to see you. I was not sent."
21:17 < Alderic> "The council is not getting into my mind so they stand no chance of being infected if I was."
21:18 <~bynw> "It's not the Council that I am worried about beging infected. It is the Portal here and there."
21:22 <~bynw> "But no matter. We can do it later then. Our meeting was not a lucky break you know. It was the will of the Akasa that brought you to me."
21:22 < Alderic> ::Shrugs:: "Allow me to move to the council and we will go on our own power. Distance can be bent."
21:23 < Alianna> "We didn't get here via Portal anyway; we came through the Gate."
21:23 <~bynw> "if it were that easy. the Council could have been invaded by any two-bit mage centuries ago."
21:23 < Alderic> "I'm much more interested in Chadwick's shatter point. Tell me about it please."
21:24  * Alianna laughs a short harsh bark of a laugh.  "Penlas would be very insulted."
21:25 < Alderic> ::smiles at Alianna::
21:25 <~bynw> "As I have stated. He is not human. He has no love for humanity of any kind. Including Deryni, Elf and any other of humanity's kin."
21:25 < Alianna> "Then what the shit is he?"
21:27 < Alderic> ::his eyebrow shoots up:: "No. He couldn't be...a plant?"
21:27 <~bynw> "You have some insight ...
21:28 <~bynw> ... he is indeed a plant."
21:28 < Alianna> "Even plants can be killed.  Why can't he die?"
21:28 < Alderic> "I suppose he could, but losing a head wouldn't do it."
21:29 < Alianna> "What would we have to do, cut off his feet?  Burn his remains?"
21:29 <~bynw> "You eat corn do you know? Doesn't it regrow in the fields every year?"
21:30 < Alianna> "Yes, but..."
21:31 < Alianna> "Corn can be killed by drought."
21:33 < Alderic> "Who would make such a being?"
21:33 < Alderic> "Who could?"
21:34 <~bynw> "Druids have been known to transform themselves. Perhaps he did years ago."
21:40 < Alderic> "How do you know this?"
21:44 <~bynw> "It's speculation and my particular gift with the Akasa. When sought head on, he becomes like a ghost and fades away. But I watched him plant his own seeds in the forest as he entered into battle."
21:52 < Alderic> "Interesting. Then it seems only one person has the answers I seek. Chadwick himself."
21:52 < Alianna> "Oh splendid."
21:54 < Alderic> "I thank you Master. Do you have anything else that could help us find, capture, or kill Chadwick?"
21:55 <~bynw> "The Akasa gives answers to those who ask it. But the Akasa remains silent when it comes to this Chadwick."
21:56 < Alderic> "Then perhaps we should ask the plants."
21:56  * Alianna raises both red eyebrows.  "Sentient plants?  This is getting really weird."
21:57 < Alderic> ::Stands and smiles at Alianna::
21:57 <~bynw> "You must bring this information to the Council. They will only see me as a rambling mad man. And Master Rose is not well liked there either."
21:58 <~bynw> *his Shields flare again cascading across the room*
21:59  * Alianna staggers backward and flares her shields slightly, involuntarily.
21:59 <~bynw> *he grabs his temples and screams out in pain*
21:59 < Alderic> ::Grimaces:: "It is time for us to go I think Master."
22:01 <~bynw> "Yes you must see the Council now ..."
22:03 -!- Sarah is now known as Maydla
22:07 < Alderic> ::Bows to the Anadari:: "Thank you again Master. I suggest you enlist a Spectral mage's help. Instead of trying to build magic mental shields they maybe able to help bolster your own will. They may bring you some measure of peace. I know of no group more experienced in those kinds of magics."
22:07  * Alianna bows as well, awkwardly.
22:08 < Alderic> ::Turns and slowly walks out::
22:09 <~bynw> *Master Jebadiah follows the two out into the cooridor*
22:09  * Alianna follows Alderic out of Master Jebadiah's rooms.
22:10 <~bynw> *the Wards in the cooridor fade away just as Master Rose and several apprentices, Maydla among them, enter the hall.*
22:11 < Alderic> ::Smiles at Master Rose and Maydia:: "Greetings."
22:12 <~bynw> *Jebadiah from behind* "They are clear Lynorri. They must see the Council now."

Bynw da GM
The World of Teara Adan
Founding Four Member