Bynw

20:09 < bynw> |------------------------------------------------
20:09 < bynw> |          Session 28 - Imperial Dreams
20:09 < bynw> |
20:09 < bynw> | The 'Aerie' flys quietly over the mountains of
20:09 < bynw> | Brennasharr on it's eastwardly voyage at the
20:09 < bynw> | beginning of the day. But as one travels east,
20:09 < bynw> | time will catch up with you quickly.
20:09 < bynw> | Maylda has gone below decks, flight has
20:09 < bynw> | disagreed with her and she has taken to lying
20:09 < bynw> | down in the quarters below.
20:09 < bynw> | The 3 crewmen and Alianna continue to fly the
20:09 < bynw> | ship. Watching the trim, the sails and the
20:09 < bynw> | wheel.
20:09 < bynw> | Audric and Alderic discussing how the ship works.
20:12 < bynw> ::Audric:: "But this ship has the best cannons available, for offense or defense. It's sails catch the slightest of breezes. And it's double hulled too."
20:13  * Alianna smiles approvingly.  "This is going to be fun.  I'm sorry Maylda is having...what would you call it, airsickness?  It's not reallly seasickness; we're not at sea."
20:14 < Alderic> "The best cannons? What does it fire?"
20:15 < bynw> ::Audric:: "It would airsickness I suppose. Cannon balls of course, but these are made in Arrin by Zulu Arms. The same cannons that the Arrin navy uses."
20:15 < Alianna> "I assume there's a good bit of cannon shot aboard?"
20:16 < bynw> ::Audric:: "We have enough for several battles. It's all stored below right now"
20:16 < Alianna> "Good."
20:19 < Alderic> "It seems a bit two dimensional in thinking. Why not fly over and drop hot oil?"
20:20 < Alianna> "That would probably work too, but it's hard to do that sort of thing when someone is already attacking you."
20:22 < bynw> ::Audric:: "We have dropable weapons on board. There is a compound that when it is exposed to the air bursts into flames."
20:22  * Alianna widens her eyes.  "That sounds...interesting to say the least."
20:26 < Alderic> ::Looks up in thought:: "And ballista to fire broadhead bolts straight up at the enemies flank to pull them?"
20:26 < Alderic> "Capsize them."
20:26  * Alianna grins a slightly evil sort of grin.  "I like the way you think!"
20:27 < bynw> ::Audric:: "No. No ballistas. Cannons are better ... wouldn't want another airship to be crashing down on my own."
20:28 < Alianna> "Well, yeah, that wouldn't be too good.  But if you could fire something heavy across at somebody to break up their ship when you're out of the way, that would work."
20:30 < Alderic> ::Nods, then to Audric:: "How does this ship stack up to others of it's kind in speed and manuverablity?"
20:33 < bynw> ::Audric:: "These ships make up the backbone of the fleet that Hemmelhold has, and likewise, Arrin and Einar have similar ships. There are bigger warships than these but they are fewer in number."
20:37 < Alianna> "I don't want to make anybody sick, but I'd like to see how she maneuvers."
20:40  * Alianna turns to the helmsman.  "Can you show me her best moves?"
20:41 < bynw> ::the helmsman shows a few moves of the ship, showing its agility and grace::
20:41  * Alianna smiles widely.  "Very nice."
20:43 < Alianna> !df 4
20:43 <@ChanServ> Result: [-][ ][ ]

• 20:45 < Alianna> "Where can I set her to rest when it's time to land?"
    20:46 < bynw> ::Audric:: "It doesn't land anywhere. You would have to have a specially designed drydock for it in order to land it."
    20:47 < Alianna> "Well, that's a downside.  What do we do when we want to get off the ship for whatever reason?"
    20:49 < bynw> ::the helmsman speaks up:: "You can of course lash the wheel, anchor it down. And lock the trim."
    20:49 -!- ArathornV [Mibbit@OWIRCN-42c72d4b.dsl.iowatelecom.net] has joined #teara-adan
    20:50 < Alianna> "Ah, okay.  And where would I find the sorts of drydocks needed for a landing, should she need repairs or something?"
    20:50 -!- ArathornV [Mibbit@OWIRCN-42c72d4b.dsl.iowatelecom.net] has quit [Quit: http://www.mibbit.com ajax IRC Client]
    20:51 < bynw> ::Audric:: "Hemmelhold of course."
    20:51 < Alianna> "Well, yeah, I figured THAT."
    20:52 < Alianna> "But Hemmelhold is not always easy to find."
    20:53 < bynw> ::Audric there a few other places that are friendly. You will find some charts in your quaters captain. Just use the compass."
    20:54 < Alianna> "Okay, sounds good.  The charts are in my quarters, not in a chart house?"
    20:54 < Alderic> ::Looks o Alianna and raises an eyebrow:: "Perhaps it's time you started thinking of a place to claim as your own?"
    20:54 < Alianna> "The sea has been my home for well over half my life, and while she's a fickle bitch, she's a good home for someone like me."
    20:55 < bynw> "There are some charts up here, but they are stored in your quaters." ::Audric says::
    20:55  * Alianna nods.  "Good place for them, I suppose."
    20:56 < Alderic> ::shrugs and looks about with a raised eyebrow and smirk:: "Looks like the skies are your home now Captain."
    20:57 < Alianna> "Does look that way.  I really should find a way to get in touch with Tylan and let him know the Aenor is his to sail, because I can hardly sail two ships at once."
    20:57 < Alianna> "Never mind that one is airborne."  She laughs.
    20:58 < bynw> ::Audric:: "Suprise him sometime. And drop in on him"
    20:58  * Alianna laughs again.
    20:58 < Alderic> ::Laughs:: "Whatever your wish....Admiral."
    20:59 < Alianna> "Admiral?  I'm nobody's version of a military commander.  Captain is a title I'll accept because it means the person in charge of the ship.  An Admiral usually has half a fleet or more."
    21:00 < Alderic> "Two ships makes you an Admiral." ::smiles::
    21:00 < Alianna> "Anyway, Tylan has been acting captain of the Aenor for the last several months; I'm sure it won't break his heart to be her official master."
    21:00 < bynw> ::Audric:: "I believe you are looking for the title of Commodore for 2 ships. Hardly a fleet to be called an Admiral."
    21:01 < Alianna> "I don't think I'd even want to be in charge of multiple ships at the same time."
    21:01 < Alderic> ::Grins wickedly:: "Careful Master Audric, you don't want to anger the Admiral. I hear she is not one to cross." ::winks at Alianna::
    21:01  * Alianna laughs.
    21:02 < Alianna> "It'd take some Deryni power to keep track of everything if I had to deal with a fleet."
    21:02 < Alianna> "Say, where'd this compass come from?"
    21:03 < bynw> ::Audric:: "Hemmelhold. We make all our own ships. Only the cannons are produced in Arrin."
    21:04 < Alianna> "It looks like the compass I had on the Aenor."
    21:10 < bynw> ::Audric:: "Really ... interesting."
    21:15 < Alderic> "How do you keep Mages from lighting the sails to flame?"
    21:18 < bynw> ::Audric:: "The sails we have, not only catch any wind but are also magically protected against flame. It's not total but it will certainly lessen any fire based attack"
    21:19 < Alianna> "No, it wasn't the compass on the Aenor.  It was...another device."
    21:23 < bynw> ::Audric:: "I don't think there is a navy that doesnt enhance their ships with magic in someway. Never know what an enemy is going to toss at you."
    21:24 < Alianna> "That's awesome."
    21:30 < Alderic> "Now the question is do you paint her white to hide in the clouds, or dark blue to hide in the night sky?"
    21:31  * Alianna laughs again.  "Magical paint that turns color, light blue or gray during the day, and dark blue at night?"
    21:34 < bynw> ::Audric comes up the helmsman and relieves him, taking the controls himself::
    21:36  * Alianna smiles over at the helmsman.  "Why don't you go grab a bite to eat?"
    21:43 < bynw> ::Audric reaches over with his right hand to the ornately carved compass. tracing his fingers across it here and there rather idly:: "I haven't flown in a long time."
    21:43 < Alderic> ::Gives Audric a half-smile:: "Feels good to choose a side?"
    21:45 < Alderic> ::Offers his hand to Audric:: "We may all die, but atleast we can say we lived eh Master Audric?"
    21:46  * Alianna gives Alderic a puzzled look.
    21:47 < bynw> ::Audric:: "Feels good." ::he puts his palm down hard on the fleur-de-lis on the compass rose::
    21:48 < bynw> ::Audric lunges from the trim controls as the ship's altitude drops sharply. it's position has changed, a teleport of the entire ship in a blink of the eye::
    21:49  * Alianna lights up as if somebody sparked a fire behind her eyes.  "Ah, so that's why the compass reminds me of that device."
    21:49  * Alianna swallows hard suddenly, a brief moment of teleportation-sickness.
    21:49 < Alderic> ::Grabs a rail as he is suddenly off balance::
    21:50  * Alianna turns to Audric.  "So where are we now?"
    21:51 < bynw> ::the crewmen are grabbing hold while Audric levels back out the trim:: "I hope dear Maylda slept through that. A day closer."
    21:51  * Alianna nods, holding on to the nearest fixed structure for balance.
    21:52 < bynw> ::once the ship is again in level flight Audric smiles at Alderic:: "We could have died right there ..."
    21:53  * Alianna looks a little alarmed.
    21:55 < Alderic> ::Smiles back:: "You could've gone your whole life without living. I'm glad you made the choice you did."
    21:55 < Alderic> "Welcome"
    21:57 < bynw> ::Audric:: "Trim is very important. It is relative to the ground below you. We are still in the mountains but here they are not as high so the ship went to 'correct' it's altitude."
    21:57 < bynw> ::Audric to Alderic:: "I have gone my whole life without living."
    22:00 < Alderic> ::Nods then shrugs:: "I lived coddled in a castle. But not today, no not today."
    22:00  * Alianna nods at Audric's remark about the trim, and looks puzzled at Alderic's discussion with Audric.
    22:00 < Alderic> "How often can you do that little trick Master Audric?"
    22:04 < bynw> ::Audric:: "3 times a day. But you must be careful of sudden trim changes."
    22:05 < Alderic> ::Looks to both Audric and Alianna:: "Do either of you have any idea how we're going to find this over lord once we get to Kirsh?"
    22:16 < Alianna> "Don't look at me.  That's your project."
Bynw da GM
The World of Teara Adan
Founding Four Member