News:

The Teara Adan campaign is using Polyhedral Fudge

Main Menu

Episode 26

Started by Bynw, 24 September 2010, 11:59:29

Previous topic - Next topic

Bynw

[19:52] <Bynw> ***** RECAP *****
[19:52] <Bynw> [21:33] * Ken pulls up the specs of the Lady, Alliance jump drive specs, and the reverse engineered drive specs, and searches the Klade datapad for the Klade jump drive specs.
[19:52] <Bynw> [21:34] <Bynw> *Jaeih pilots the ship towards a gas giant and begins entering its atmosphere. its a little rough*
[19:52] <Bynw> [21:34] * Ken settles in with a big cup of java nad starts a comparative study, double checking calculations as required.
[19:52] <Bynw> [21:35] <Bynw> *DRADIS goes very fuzzy*
[19:52] <Bynw> [21:35] * Ken spills some java at the unexpected turbulence.
[19:52] <Bynw> [21:35] <Ken> ::over comms:: "Bridge what are you doing?!?!?!"
[19:52] <Bynw> [21:36] <Ken> ::over comms:: "Please warn me if I need to boost inertial dampeners."
[19:52] <Bynw> [21:37] <Sathara> "What the frak?!"
[19:52] <Bynw> [21:38] <Bynw> *the chop settles down after a few minutes --- smooth sailing now*
[19:52] <Bynw> [21:39] * Ken cleans up the spill and goes back to his work
[19:52] <Bynw> [21:40] * Sathara shakes her head in frustration, muttering swear words under her breath.
[19:52] <Bynw> [21:42] <Bynw> *Jaeih over comms* "We are in system. I've parked us in the upper atmosphere of a gas giant. Thus masking our signature, but also limiting our ability to detect other ships as well. The system scans show this system is does not support any life."
[19:52] <Bynw> [21:44] <Ken> ::over comms:: "Roger"
[19:52] <Bynw> [21:46] * Ken goes back to his analysis of the specs.
[19:52] <Bynw> ***** END RECAP *****
[19:56] <Bynw> *Jaeih hits the intercom and beeps into Raith's quarters* "Captain. We are in system."
[19:56] <Raith> ::Panic wars with sleep in his voice as he activates the intercom:: "Dammit! Bridge, Report! What the frak is going on?"
[19:57] <Raith> ::Sighs over intercom:: "Are we alone out here? Jaeih?"
[19:58] <Bynw> *Jaeih over the private comm channel* "Completely. DRADIS reported nothing when we entered the system. Several gas giants. And other lifeless rocks. No life in this system. No other ships detected."
[19:59] <Raith> ::Switches to the private intercom to the bridge:: "Thank you Jaeih. Get some rack time if you need it."
[20:01] <Raith> ::Throws on a coverall suit, ties the sleeves at the waist and tops it with a t-shirt::
[20:02] <Raith> ::Staggers out into the hallway and to the auto-chef to fill a cup of coffee for himself while yawning::
[20:03] <Bynw> *the lights are on low throughout the ship unless someone is actively using an area and has turned them up
[20:04] <Bynw> *through any windows and viewports the sky is red and full of a host of other swirling colors ... like a waterpainting gone mad
[20:04] <Raith> ::Still barefoot he staggers, coffee in hand, down to medbay::
[20:05] <Raith> "Doc..."::yawn:: "How are we looking here?"
[20:06] <Dr_Cross> "Everyone is alive and well, Cap, except for our former pilot"
[20:07] <Raith> ::Looks questioningly at Dr. Cross::
[20:08] <Raith> "How is she?"
[20:08] <Raith> ::yawns and sips his coffee::
[20:11] <Dr_Cross> "I am... unsure...."
[20:12] <Dr_Cross> "She needs to be checked into a full-fledged hospital"
[20:12] <Raith> ::Waves the Doctor off:: "Right. When's the last time you got some rack time doc?"
[20:13] <Dr_Cross> "Huh? What was the question again?"
[20:13] <Dr_Cross> "... Oh yeah. We'll I spent most of my time helping Ken with the logs"
[20:14] <Dr_Cross> "I got a few hours of sleep. I'm fine"
[20:16] <Raith> ::Nods:: "Get some more Doc while things are quite."
[20:16] <Ken> ! df5 Engineering
[20:16] <Ken> !df5 Engineering
[20:16] <Ken> !df5 Engineering
[20:17] <Ken> !df 5 Engineering
[20:17] <ChanServ> Result: (-)( )(+)(-)( )
[20:17] <Raith> ::over the intercom:: "Sathara, report."
[20:19] * Dr_Cross smirks "You, meanwhile, got lots of sleep"
[20:20] <Sathara> ::over the intercom:: "Nothing much to report, Cap'n, DRADIS is clear and the guns seem to be in full working order."
[20:21] <Raith> ::Intercom:: "Get some sleep."
[20:22] <Sathara> ::intercom:: "I racked out for about six hours.  DRADIS is fuzzy because of the atmosphere here, but there's no ships anywhere."
[20:23] <Raith> ::Intercom:: "Good. Keep an eye out." ::Staggers on, sipping coffee as he goes. Now taking the lift to the cargobay at the lower levels and on to Engineering::
[20:25] <Raith> ::As the door to engineering slides open:: "Ken."
[20:26] * Ken looks up from a complex eguation
[20:27] * Dr_Cross heads for his bunk "Goodnight, everyone... time for some shut-eye"
[20:28] <Raith> "How long since you slept?"
[20:29] <Ken> "Had a nap about fours ago."
[20:31] <Raith> "Get some sleep. This stuff can wait. We're safe for now and I need you fresh."
[20:31] <Ken> "ok Cap"
[20:32] * Ken finishes downloading something from the navcomp and then heads for his bunk
[20:34] <Ken> !df 5 Engineering
[20:34] <ChanServ> Result: (+)(+)(+)(+)( )
[20:35] <Raith> ::Looks about for a moment, then finds and picks up the klade data pad. He begins playing with it again looking to recreate the transmission link::
[20:39] <Bynw> *the pad's icons move off to the side as the comm panel opens with Orsi's face appearing* "Ah Raith." *he says* "I can't talk long right now. Have to present myself at a meeting of the High Command."
[20:41] <Raith> ::nods:: "Not much to say. Our jumpdrives and this data pad don't mix. We're out in the middle of a lifeless system and the jumpdrives are offline. How's your day?" ::smirks::
[20:44] <Bynw> *Orsi looks at Raith* "This isnt a human joke. Connect the pad back to your systems and I'll have it run a diagnostic. I'll contact you after the meeting. Out." *the comm screen goes blank and then the icons reappear.*
[20:45] <Raith> "Note to self. Send more alcohol with Orsi next time, he needs it." ::Walks to the bridge::
[20:46] <Raith> ::Sits in the navigators seat and inserts the klade pad into the navi-computer:: "How are you doing on sleep Jaeih?"
[20:48] <Bynw> *Jaeih is checking the systems making sure the ship is maintaining its high atmospheric orbit. making a few minor adjustments here and there.*
[20:49] <Bynw> "Quite well Captain."
[20:51] <Bynw> "How was your sleep?" *she asks* "We should be able to maintain orbit here as long as we need to ... "
[20:52] <Raith> "Not long enough, but then it never is. It's one of the perks of being captain."
[20:53] <Raith> "No life sustaining planets in this system?"
[20:57] <Bynw> "None at all." *she replies* "Just rocks and gases. Plenty of fuel if we need to resort to scooping any"
[20:59] * Ken wakes up after six hours of sleep and heads back to his analysis
[20:59] <Raith> "I don't think that will be a concern. We have no where to go unless the jumpdrives get back in spec."
[20:59] * Sathara walks to the bridge just to see what's going on.
[21:01] <Raith> ::Morning beautiful. Ready for another day?"
[21:02] * Sathara laughs.  "Ready as I'm gonna be."
[21:04] <Raith> "Good. Doesn't look like your going to have to shoot anything today, but then it never does until you have to does it?"
[21:04] <Bynw> *the Klade databpad starts to beep*
[21:04] <Sathara> "Amen to that, Cap'n.  What's that beeping?"
[21:06] <Sathara> "I mean, I know it's the Klade datapad, but why's it beeping?"
[21:07] <Raith> "Not sure." ::Looks at the datapads screen."
[21:14] <Bynw> *pad display reads "incoming transmission"
[21:14] * Dr_Cross enters the bridge
[21:15] <Raith> "Hey doc, just in time. This should be fun." ::looks for a connect button of somekind on the pad::
[21:16] <Ken> ::over comms:: "You up Cap?"
[21:17] * Dr_Cross sighs "I'm sure it will be, Cap" 
[21:17] <Raith> ::Intercom:: "On the bridge Ken, come on up here."
[21:18] <Ken> ::over comms:: "I have found the problem and the solution."
[21:18] <Ken> ::over comms:: "On my way"
[21:18] * Ken heads for the bridge.
[21:20] * Ken enters the bridge "The protocol linking the Kald epad to our database.." trails off as he sees the pad plugged in.
[21:21] <Bynw> *Orsi's face again appears on the pad* "I've found the problem. Well actually several problems"
[21:21] <Raith> "Do tell."
[21:23] <Bynw> *Orsi* "There is a protocol error in the database. It causes minor errors to creep in. Our fault for not fully having it tested before you went out."
[21:23] * Ken nods
[21:24] <Bynw> *Orsi continues* "Its a minor programming error. It can be fixed by a simple upload to the pad and a reboot."
[21:25] <Raith> "The other ships headed out to make contact going to have the same problem?"
[21:25] <Bynw> *Orsi* "Unfortunately yes. But they haven't gone out yet. We will be able to get all the fixes in place before they launch."
[21:26] * Ken nods emphatically
[21:27] <Raith> ::Looks back at the others, then back at the datapad:: "Haven't gone out yet? Serious?"
[21:28] <Bynw> "There is a 2nd problem as well. And thats your engines themselves. You seem to be using something of our design. Possibly from 'acquired' information. We have discovered a flaw in the current design. And will be providing an updated schematics. I am assuming they were going to get the engines similar to yours. Which of course will cause a problem as well."
[21:28] <Ken> "Yes I could not trace the fault without them."
[21:30] <Bynw> *Orsi* "It seems your engineer has already discovered the errors or at least highly suspected them. He's got a lot of talent. Your ship will need to be drydocked for the engine repairs. But the new protocals can be uploaded to your pad and you should be able to make the jumps home again."
[21:31] <Raith> ::Looks back and smiles at Ken, then looks back at the data pad:: "Great, great. Uhhh drydocked. Yeah. We smack dab in the middle of no and where."
[21:32] <Bynw> "Once you get back." *Orsi says* "Unless you want us to come out there and dry dock you now."
[21:33] <Ken> "I agree with Orsi Cap, the major problem for long range jumps was the protocol error."
[21:35] <Raith> ::Looks to Ken:: "Can you get us back up and home?"
[21:36] <Ken> "It will take some time to manually rewrite the protocol, but I think we can try the upload and reboot first. I can check it relatively quickly now that I know the places to look."
[21:37] <Raith> ::Nods:: "Good enough for me Ken. Get on it."
[21:38] * Ken moves closer to the pad "Proiceed Orsi with your upload."
[21:38] <Raith> ::To Orsi:: "We should be good. Thanks for the hand. Raith out."
[21:39] <Bynw> *Orsi* "The pad will beep once the upload is completed. Out"
[21:39] * Dr_Cross frowns
[21:40] * Ken looks at Doc
[21:40] <Dr_Cross> "Klade tech has given us a lot problems"
[21:40] <Ken> "I know but I can check the changes as I have the before and after specs."
[21:40] <Raith> ::Looks for a disconnect icon::
[21:41] <Ken> "Do not disconnect yet Cap!"
[21:42] <Raith> ::Talking over his shoulder:: "Trouble is a relative concept Doc...." ::stops, leans back, and puts his hands up looking at Ken::
[21:45] <Dr_Cross> "Its relative alright... we're relatively marooned while the Klade are relatively safe at home"
[21:48] * Ken nods at Doc's words
[21:48] <Sathara> "Doc
[21:48] <Raith> ::Looks back at Dr. Cross:: "And you've just made relative history by getting medical readings on the second extraterrestrial race ever. Made friends with them. And relatively been on an adventure you'll tell your grand kids..."
[21:49] <Bynw> *the Klade pad beeps a few times and then goes dark*
[21:49] <Sathara> "Doc's got a point, there, Cap'n, but DRADIS is still showing nothing but static and we seem to be relatively safe while Ken fixes it."
[21:50] <Ken> "Right I'll double check these changes after you reboot the Pad Cap."
[21:50] * Dr_Cross goes back to grumbling silently
[21:52] <Raith> "I reboot the pad!? You sure about that ken?"
[21:53] <Ken> "that is what Orsi said Cap."
[21:55] <Raith> ::Chuckles:: "Sad day when I'm the one doing the technical stuff..." ::starts looking for the 'reboot' icon::
[21:55] <Ken> "Turn it off and on Cap..."
[21:55] * Sathara stifles a laugh.
[21:57] <Raith> ::Looks for an off/on button/icon:: "Tell me why I'm doing this again Ken..."
[21:58] <Bynw> *the on/off isnt an icon, its a physical button on the side*
[21:59] <Ken> "The protocol is a TSR; it needs to be reloaded; then it can rewrite the copy on out navcomp."
[22:00] * Dr_Cross looks at the datapad with pure mistrust
[22:00] * Sathara wanders up to the turret, checks DRADIS, checks through the windows, and then wanders back down to the bridge.
[22:01] <Ken> "The process will take an hour or so then I can check to see if it worked."
[22:02] <Raith> ::Pushes the button, a bit unsure of himself::
[22:02] <Raith> "Right."
[22:04] <Bynw> *an hour passes and the datapad shows a successful transfer of stellar data and an upgraded protocol*
[22:06] <Raith> ::Intercom:: "How are things looking Ken?"
[22:06] <Ken> ::over comms:: "Ready to check the changes Cap"
[22:07] * Ken runs a comparison while he checks the problem areas he noted.
[22:12] <Ken> !df 5 Engineering
[22:12] <ChanServ> Result: (+)( )(-)(+)(-)
[22:16] <Ken> ::over comms:: "looks good Cap; we can go home to fix the engines now."
[22:17] <Ken> "Restarting the engines now, should be able to jump in an hour."
[22:18] * Ken restarts the engines and runs his standard diagnostics while they spin up.
[22:23] <Bynw> *the engines come back online reading ok within the specs that they have setup ... the jump drives cant begin spinning up until the engines are fully online ... mainpower is returning to all systems on board the Lady Luck*
[22:26] <Raith> "Looks like the patch worked."
[22:26] <Raith> ::Intercom:: "Start spinning the drives up Ken. Let's try this again."
[22:27] <Ken> ::over comms:: "Aye Cap"
[22:27] * Ken starts the jump drive start sequence, monitoring closely
[22:28] <Bynw> *Jaeih* "We will have to come out of this atmosphere"
[22:29] <Raith> ::Nods:: "Take us out Jaeih."
[22:29] * WarLord (~WarLord@48DFF2.199311.CA8536.6482F3) has left #teara-adan ("Leaving.")
[22:30] <Bynw> *Jaeih fires up the thrusters and takes the Lady Luck out of the atmosphere of the gas giant ... as the ship exits back to space DRADIS begins to get clearer until the ship is fully in space and DRADIS again reads clear space all around them*
[22:31] * Sathara settles into the turret seat, just to keep an eye on things.
[22:32] <Raith> ::Sets a course to Alliance space into the nav-computer:: "Course set." ::checks the drives to see if they are fully spun up::
[22:33] <Bynw> *Jaeih* "Jump drives are spun up and ready for jump."
[22:33] <Bynw> "Reading 2 jumps to make it to our destination" *she confirms the readings*
[22:34] <Raith> ::Nods:: "Jump in 5...4...3...2...1...jump." ::engages the jump drive::
[22:35] <Bynw> !df 4
[22:35] <ChanServ> Result: (-)(-)( )(-)
[22:36] <Ken> !df 4 perception
[22:36] <ChanServ> Result: (+)(-)(-)(-)
[22:37] <Sathara> !df 5 perception
[22:37] <ChanServ> Result: ( )(+)(+)(+)(+)
[22:37] <Ken> !df 5 perception
[22:37] <ChanServ> Result: (+)( )(+)(-)(-)
[22:37] <Bynw> !df 4
[22:37] <ChanServ> Result: (+)( )(-)(-)
[22:38] <Dr_Cross> !df 4
[22:38] <ChanServ> Result: ( )(+)( )(+)
[22:42] <Raith> !df 5
[22:42] <ChanServ> Result: (-)( )( )(+)(-)
[22:44] <Bynw> * a successful jump. DRADIS is clear and jump drives are spinning back up
[22:44] <Sathara> ::over comms:: "Oh frak.  Just before we jumped, somebody else jumped into that system."
[22:46] * Ken does a quick calculation on time to next jump
[22:46] <Bynw> *about 10 minutes*
Bynw da GM
The World of Teara Adan
Founding Four Member