19:31 <~bynw> | Sanctuary Imperial Gateway. Alderic and Alianna
19:31 <~bynw> | find themselves no where near the Imperial Gate
19:31 <~bynw> | of South Wind.
19:31 <~bynw> |
19:31 <~bynw> | They have arrived in the bitter cold. The
19:31 <~bynw> | temperature is barely 50 degrees. With a cold
19:31 <~bynw> | wind and overcast grey skyies that begin to
19:31 <~bynw> | rain. Not dressed for such weather, or even
19:31 <~bynw> | used to it. The pair are damp, cold and alone.
19:31 <~bynw> |------------------------------------------------
19:33  * Alianna shivers in her thin linen shirt.  "Where the shit is Penlas?"
19:33 <~bynw> *The Imperial Gate towers behind them. It's opening built into a wall and not directly out in the open like many other Gateways.
19:33 <~bynw> * They are standing on an elevated stone platform with stairs several yards away leading down with at least 2 landings into a courtyard.
19:34 <~bynw> *  The other sides are surrounded by equally high walls.
19:37 < Alianna> "And where the shit are we?"
19:37 < Alderic> !df 4
19:37 <@ChanServ> Result: ( )(+)(+)(+)
19:39 < Alderic> ::His teeth chatter as he mutters ancient arcane words under his breath and he draws a symbol in the ground at his feet with one hand while gripping himself with the other against the cold::
19:40 <~bynw> *off in the distance, in the direction of the stairs, and the only spot not surrounded by high walls ...are the flickering of lights in other buildings ... some distance away ... several 100 yards
19:40  * Alianna watches Alderic with some interest, still shivering.
19:41 < Alderic> ::A wave of warmth suffuses Alianna and Alderic not only comforting them but protecting them from the cold::
19:41 < Alianna> "Ahhh.  Oh, that's a nice spell."
19:42 < Alianna> "Do you have any idea where in the seven hells we are?  Because I sure as shit do not."
19:42 < Alderic> ::Smiles at Alianna and makes a sweeping bow:: "My pleasure my Lady."
19:43 < Alianna> !df 4
19:43 <@ChanServ> Result: (+)(-)(+)( )
19:44 <~bynw> *the winds shift and blow, wiping around in the semi-enclosed area spraying the light rain everywhere
19:44 < Alderic> "I suspect Penlas has betrayed us and either made off with our device or lied entirely about the device and taken our coin."
19:45 < Alianna> "Yeah, I think you're right on that.  I smell the sea.  Wherever we are, we're near an ocean."
19:47 < Alderic> "Polaris? Perhaps the elf simply choose to depart our company."
19:47  * Alianna looks around to see if there is any sign of humanity nearby.
19:48 <~bynw> *only the flickering of lights in far off buildings ... perhaps a village or town with this structure on the far outskirts*
19:49 < Alianna> "Alderic, if we move, will our warmth bubble stay with us?"
19:49 < Alderic> ::Shrugs and starts walking towards the lights, glancing back at Alianna::
19:49 < Alderic> "No."
19:49 < Alianna> "Damn.  Okay."
19:49 <~bynw> *as the pair move a dozen men in hooded robes, in a color somewhere between rose and magenta, decend from the walls gracefully like cats stalking prey. each bears a quarter staffs at the ready*
19:49  * Alianna follows Alderic.
19:50  * Alianna 's eyebrows go way up.
19:52 <~bynw> *the pair are quickly surrounded ... while one speaks* "Who are you ... and how did you get through the Gate?"
19:52 <~bynw> *it is evident to any here that the pair are being truth-read*
19:55 < Alderic> "Who am I? What a curious question. Very deep. I suppose I'm not really sure who i am yet. But I am working to find the answer to that. As to the gate; we stepped through. Do you do it differently?"
19:56 -!- Sarah is now known as Guard3
19:58 <~bynw> *the leader of the group who asked the questions to begin with pauses for a moment* "By what name are you called? And where did you step through the Gateway from last ..."
19:59 < Alianna> "My name is Alianna Rudhira, and we were last in Sanctuary.  We thought we were going to South Wind.  What is this place?"
19:59 < Alderic> ::Mutters:: "Very rude to ignore my question..."
20:00 <~bynw> *the guard leader takes a less offensive stance and glances at Alianna and then back to Alderic*
20:00 < Alderic> ::Shrugs:: "I am often called Alderic. What is your name?"
20:00  * Guard3 relaxes, taking cues from the guard leader.
20:01 <~bynw> *he pulls the hood of his robe off his head to reveal that he is a she and elven to boot* "I am Cenielóra. And no we walk through them as well."
20:03 < Alderic> ::Smiles at Cenielóra:: "Ah a very beautiful name, it matches your eyes."
20:04 < Alderic> ::Makes a sweeping bow to the Elf::
20:04 <~bynw> *Cenielóra* "You are a long ways off from South Wind, Alianna Rudhira. I have never heard of the Gateways sending someone to to wrong destinations before ... curious*
20:05  * Alianna makes a somewhat awkward bow at the waist.  A curtsey would look ridiculous in her breeches.
20:05 < Alderic> "Are we near Polaris Master Anadari?"
20:06 < Alianna> "I think perhaps we were duped by our former companion."
20:13 < Guard3> I believe you should keep better company...
20:13  * Alianna laughs, rather coarsely.  "No shit?"
20:13 < Guard3> Yes, inside this structure is Polaris. Normally, visitors announce themselves; hence our alarm.
20:13 <~bynw> *Cenielóra* "Yes you are. We can have the Gateway reset and have on your way to South Wind"
20:14 < Alderic> "Then it's not very curious at all, because the gate took us exactly where we wanted to go."
20:15 < Alderic> "Would you be so kind as to show us the way to the council?"
20:16 < Alderic> ::Smiles questioningly at Cenielóra and the other guard::
20:16 <~bynw> *Cenielóra looks a bit confused by the very straight forward request of Alderic* "The council does not see outsiders without a summons"
20:18 <~bynw> *the rain picks up some more moving from a light steady drizzle to a good cold rain*
20:18 < Alderic> "Why?"
20:18  * Alianna shivers against the cold rain.
20:19 <~bynw> "If you wish to return to Sanctuary that can also be arranged through the Gate. But the Council does not have an audiance with just anyone who comes to Polaris. No matter how extraordinary the means." *she says to them*
20:20  * Alianna looks at Alderic.
20:21 < Alderic> "That doesn't answer my question though. Can I ask them?"
20:22 <~bynw> "We can see that you do not travel cold and wet however. And provide you with dry clothes and shelter until the storm passes. But you cannot see or speak to the Council without there express permission."
20:24 < Alderic> "That's a circular argument. One cannot get permission if they do not ask the council and one cannot ask the council without permission."
20:24  * Alianna rests a hand on Alderic's arm and begins to speak in his mind.  "Why don't you just identify yourself to them?"
20:27 <~bynw> "The Council knows who they summon and why they are summoned. And the Council is aware of all visitors as well. Even those who are unnannounced. Come" *she says turning towards the stairs* "Lets get out of the rain."
20:28 < Alianna> "I can go for that last."
20:29 < Alderic> ::Sighs:: "Do all Anadari have a penchant for dramatic dialogue? You would love my father. Dramatic entrances are his speciality."
20:30  * Guard3 follows the group, eager to get out of the rain as well.
20:31 < Alderic> ::Follows Cenielóra::
20:31  * Alianna follows Alderic and Cenielóra.
20:32 <~bynw> *Cenielóra leads the two visitors along with the rest of the guards taking up the rear down the stairs into the courtyard below and then into the interior of the building the houses the Imperial Gate. At last out of the cold and rain*
20:34 <~bynw> *once everyone is inside she turns to the other guards* "Maydla. See to it that are guests are given a place to rest, something to eat and a change of clothes as we dry theirs off."
20:35 < Guard3> "Yes Ma'am.
20:36 < Alderic> "Thank you Master Anadari."
20:36 -!- Guard3 is now known as Maydla
20:37  * Alianna smiles at the young guard.  "Thank you so much.  You have no idea how good it feels to be out of that rain."
20:37 < Maydla> "If you would be so kind as to follow me, I'll take you to a room, or two, if you prefer, awhere you'll have provisions for the night."
20:37  * Maydla says to Alianna; You're welcome, both of you."
20:38  * Alianna follows Maydla.
20:38 <~bynw> *satisfied that the pair will be taken care of Cenielóra strides off in the opposite direction, taking over half of the guards with her. the others stay and follow Maydla and her guests*
20:39 < Alderic> ::Glances at Alianna, then to Maydia:: "Two rooms I believe."
20:40  * Alianna smiles.  "Yes, a little privacy would be lovely."
20:40  * Maydla thinks to herself; "I believe it.."
20:41  * Alianna smiles at Maydla.  "Is there any chance of a warm bath?"
20:41 < Alderic> ::Looks to Alianna with a wry grin then to Maydla:: "I don't really care who watches personally." ::Begins pulling his shirt tails out::
20:42  * Maydla smirks. "Please keep yourself covered until indide your respective rooms, we do like to keep some modesty here."
20:42 < Maydla> inside*
20:43  * Alianna snorts in laughter.
20:43  * Maydla stops at a door with a small red rose and a number 1.
20:43 < Alderic> "Mores the pity."
20:43 < Maydla> "This will your room for the duration of your stay, Alianna. I do hope it is enough."
20:44  * Alianna opens the door.  "I'm sure it will be just fine."
20:44 < Maydla> "I will come back by and pick up your clothing from you in just a few minutes."
20:44 < Alianna> "Sounds great."
20:45  * Maydla nods then waves to Alderic to follow.
20:45 < Alderic> ::snorts and raises an eyebrow at Maydla::
20:45 < Alderic> "Why yes Master Anadari, whatever you want."
20:45 < Maydla> "Problem, sir?"
20:45  * Maydla stops at another room, this one with an open door. A blue rose with the number three beside it.
20:46  * Alianna enters the room and closes the door, then begins stripping off the wet linen of her shirt, the heavy,  wet leather belt, the wet leather breeches and the sodden thin linen underwear.
20:46 < Maydla> "This will be your room."
20:47  * Alianna finds a warm robe to wear.
20:47 < Maydla> Addressing Alderic: "I will pick your clothing whenever you have finished dressing."
20:47 < Alderic> ::Pulls his shirt over his head as he enters his room:: "Dress with what?"
20:47 < Maydla> "There is a robe hung on the back of this door."
20:48  * Maydla closes the door then walks away.
20:49 <~bynw> *a couple of the guards in addition to Maydla hang around the area of the rooms. not guarding or preventing anything from happening but just watching and there to attend to the needs of Maydla's charges*
20:50 < Alderic> ::Smirks at the closed door. Then dresses in the robe.::
20:50  * Alianna pokes her head out the door.  "Any chance I could have a bath?"
20:51  * Maydla looks to one of the other guards and nods. "When you are dressed, this guard will bring in a maid to asist you."
20:51 < Alianna> "I have on this robe, which is nice and warm, but I'd love to take a bath before I put on any of the clean clothes in here."
20:52 < Maydla> "I understand, your maid is here. she will bring out and fill a tub in your room momentarily."
20:53 < Alianna> "Excellent.  Thank you so much."
20:53 < Maydla> "My pleasure."
20:54  * Maydla sends a guard to ask Alderic if he wishes to bathe as well.
20:55  * Alianna stands back while the maid gets the bath ready, then thanks her and waves her off.  She gets into the tub and sighs blissfully.
20:55 < Alderic> ::To the guard:: "Very much so, thank you."
20:56  * Maydla tells the guard to fetch a manservant to assist.
20:58  * Alianna soaks for a while, then begins to soap herself thoroughly, including her thick curly hair.
20:59 < Alderic> !df 4
20:59 <@ChanServ> Result: ( )(+)( )( )
21:00 <~bynw> *the manservant comes to Alderic's door and knocks. then enters to assist him*
21:00 < Alderic> ::From the tub he snaps his fingers and his clothes, hanging on hooks at the back of the door, steam for a moment drying instantly as well as smoothing themselves perfectly::
21:01 < Alderic> "No need to take the clothes. Thank you though."
21:03 <~bynw> *a few hours of relaxation. and Alianna's clothes are returned dried and ready to wear again. Maydla is informed that the pair are to be summoned to appear before the Master.*
21:05  * Alianna dresses again in a clean, snug-fitting undershirt, a full-cut linen blouse, leather breeches, and her wide leather sword belt.
21:05 < Alderic> ::Dresses and steps from his room, waiting or Alianna in the hall::
21:06  * Alianna joins Alderic.  "Well, I suppose the council wants to see us /now/."
21:08  * Maydla finds Alderic in the hall and knocks on Alianna's door. "Are you ready?"
21:08 < Alianna> "Yes, ma'am."
21:08 < Alderic> "Yes."
21:09 < Maydla> "Let us go, then. We will be meeting in the Great Hall, where Master Rose is sparring with the apprentices."
21:11  * Maydla turns and walks down the hall, through the sitting area, and a few moments later opens a set of doors leading into the Great Hall where many people are sparring and sweating and grunting."
21:11 < Maydla> "Master Rose is in the midst of a match at the moment and will be with you shortly. Let's sit over here out of the way until she is ready."
21:12  * Alianna follows Maydla to an out of the way place.
21:13 < Maydla> "She is the rather tall woman in the middle there, looks half elf and is teaching a new recruit defense work."
21:13  * Maydla indicates a few benchs a meter away for the group to sit.
21:13 < Maydla> "Please, have a seat and enjoy the display."
21:14 <~bynw> *the two that are in the middle of the great hall sparring looks to be an unfair match. the one Maydla points out as Master Rose is fighting with staff. Her opponant is using a sword.*
21:14 <~bynw> *yet the Master is winning the match ... and the sword doesn't seem to be doing any damage to the staff when it strikes it.*
21:14 < Alderic> ::Nods to Maydia and begins striding over to spectate the match without a word::
21:15  * Maydla raises an eyebrow. "Where are you going?"
21:16 <~bynw> *as the two battle, the apprentice makes a critical miss-step and the Master takes the opportunity to sweep the staff under the legs and send the apprentice flying*
21:17 < Maydla> "ouch."
21:17 < Alderic> ::Stops a safe distance away from the two and claps lightly at the outcome::
21:19 <~bynw> *she turns in fluid smooth motion coming back to a defensive position. but there are no other apprentices wishing to make a challenge. she turns to Alderic* "And where are you in your quest ... 50 ...70 years ... young of course but where are you heading?"
21:20 < Alderic> ??Is there a practice staff nearby??
21:20 <~bynw> !! there are several !!
21:23  * Alianna sits on the bench, watching Alderic and the Master.
21:24 < Alderic> ::Walks over and tests several of the staves until he settles on one, larger to fit his own size but otherwise unremarkable. He turns to Master Rose:: "I don't know where I'm heading, I have no place. But I am here. Would you do me the honor of a lesson Master Anadari?"
21:24  * Maydla settles beside Alianna to watch the match.
21:25  * Alianna raises an eyebrow at Alderic's behavior.
21:25 <~bynw> *She smiles and nods* "Of course I can give you a lesson." *she takes up a defensive position again*
21:26  * Maydla says to Alianna: "Don't worry about him, she will treat him like any other student. He should be fine."
21:27 < Alderic> "I will try not to make it too easy to thrash me repeatedly." ::Bows formally at the waist to the Anadari and then mirrors he stance::
21:27 < Alianna> "Oh, I'm not worried.  If he's good enough, he'll earn her respect, and if he gets his arse kicked, it'll take him down a peg or two."
21:28 < Maydla> "Sounds like he needs to lose a peg or two..."
21:28  * Alianna laughs, again rather coarsely.
21:28 <~bynw> *She does a few taps against the lower section of his staff with her's as a testing of wills* "Know when to fight and it doesn't matter what the weapon is used by your opponant."
21:30 < Alderic> ::Nods in seriousness, listening attentively:: "My teacher said the majority of any battle is to set the situation to your advantage and every battle is won or lost before it starts."
21:31 <~bynw> *she then quickly moves into standard staff fighting drills to test Alderic's knowledge and training*
21:32 <~bynw> "Your teacher was wise. Know your opponant and yourself."
21:33 < Alderic> ::Counters with common forms, concentrating on matching her rhythm::
21:34 <~bynw> *the pair seem to be almost dancing with sticks than fighting ... but it is possible one grew out of the other*
21:34  * Alianna watches the quarterstaff fight intently.   She turns to Maydla.  "I've never fought with a quarterstaff before.  This is interesting."
21:36 < Maydla> "Think of the staffs as an extension of yourself and your abilities. There is more here than the eye can see. Intellectual training as well as 'fightin' goes on here."
21:36  * Alianna nods, still intent on the contest.
21:37 <~bynw> *she picks up the rhythm, still staying with the most known tactics*
21:39 < Alderic> ::Matches master Roses rudimentary movements, though with less grace of motion:: "interesting, it just occured to me that I could incorporate mystic arts into my martial movements::
21:40 < Maydla> "You see, the staff is not just a weapon. This staff is hers. She carved it herself, by hand, and poured herself into it. She has trained her whole life with that staff and it helps her balance herself. It is infused with her energy as well as her magic."
21:41 < Alderic> ::A heartbeat later he matches the rhythm, but obviously now completely focused to keep up with the Master Anadari::
21:41 < Alianna> "Interesting."
21:41 <~bynw> "And you should if you can." *she says steping back from him and doing a high arching backflip above his head and landing gracefully behind him taking a hard swing to his mid-section*
21:41  * Alianna raises both brows at that move.
21:42 < Alderic> ::Grunts in pain and back peddles to regain his balance. He assumes his defensive stance again and nods to Master Rose::
21:43 < Alianna> "Looks like she may indeed knock him down a peg or two."
21:43  * Maydla smirks. "She's full of surprises."
21:43 <~bynw> "In battle. Your opponant will take an opportunity if it presents itself. And will use every talent available to defeat you."
21:44 <~bynw> *she presses her assult. moving quicker than the eye can follow*
21:45 < Alderic> ::Completely on the defense, it takes everything he can just to fend off her strikes, sweat rolls from him::
21:45  * Alianna continues watching the match, impressed in the extreme.
21:47 <~bynw> *she stops short of delivering a lighting fast strike with the end of her staff to Alderic's face* "Sometimes contact isn't necessary."
21:48 < Alderic> ::back peddles again, too late to have defended against the strike. Breathing heavy he nods to Master Rose again and again takes a defensive stance::
21:49 < Alderic> !df 4
21:49 <@ChanServ> Result: (-)(+)(+)(+)
21:49  * Alianna flinches herself at how close the quarterstaff came to Alderic's head.
21:49 < Alianna> ::quietly, so that only Maydla can hear:: "Damn."
21:50  * Maydla says to Alianna: "She teaches her students that combat training, hand-to-hand, is not the only way. She teache sus all that we may utilize all of our skills, in any possible. There are no limits."
21:50 < Maydla> way*
21:50 <~bynw> *the two spar off again each taking hits against one others staffs*
21:50 < Alianna> "That's impressive.  I've never thought to use my psychic abilities in a fight, but that adds a whole new dimension."
21:51 < Maydla> "Master Rose is a phenominal teacher."
21:51 < Alianna> "I see.  If we had time, I'd ask her to teach me how she combines tactics like that.  It would come in handy on the Aenor."
21:52 < Maydla> "Indeed it would. You may ask her after she is done with Alderic. She may carve time out for you in the future and/or give you a small lesson while you are here."
21:52 < Alianna> "That would be great."
21:53 <~bynw> *She again takes an opening in Alderic's defenses*
21:54 < Maydla> "She never turns down an eager student. Above all, she is a tutor, a mentor, and a friend. She will teach those who are willig to learn. If your mind is closed, she will see it and refuse. Unless, she sees that she may teach you to open your mind and heart to her teaching."
21:54 <~bynw> "I'm sure your teacher taught you not to fight with anger. It will cloud your judgement."
21:54 < Alderic> ::Focused he again takes a defensive stance, seeming to soak up every movement the Anadari makes. Obviously enjoying the chance to learn and unconcerned with losing::
21:55 < Alianna> "I learned a long time ago not to close my mind.  There are too many interesting things to learn to close your mind to new experiences."
21:56 < Maydla> "That is good. I think she senses that in your friend here and seems to be enjoying the match."
21:57  * Alianna laughs.  "He can be arrogant, but I don't see him as closed-minded."
21:59 <~bynw> *Master Rose is clearly a better staff fighter than Alderic and it shows in the forms and techniques being used. She has scored several hits against him and moves for another*
22:00 < Alderic> ::Sweat rolls off him in waves as he again defends against the Master Anadari's clearly superiour skill with a staff. Again he back peddles under a flurry of blows, his mouth moves silently. A sudden blur of motion inhumanly fast he moves faster then the eye can follow as the Anadari attacks and side steps her assaults and is suddenly behind her, his staff lightly resting on the side of her knee in a blow that would surely
22:00 < Alderic>  have crippled the Master Anadari if not held back::
22:01  * Maydla nods in approval.
22:01  * Alianna raises a brow and laughs.
22:01 < Maydla> "Note that the Master is always open to anything her students may teach her as well."
22:01 < Alderic> ::He grins at Master Rose, Then stands straight and bows deeply to the Anadari holding it for a moment::
22:02 < Alianna> "Any good teacher knows that there is always more to learn."
22:02 <~bynw> *Master Rose smiles in approval at the move.* "Well done." *she returns the bow*
22:02 < Alderic> "Thank you very much Master Rose. You are a most excellent teacher and honor me."
22:03  * Alianna applauds.
22:03  * Maydla claps lightly.
22:03 <~bynw> "But the way of the Rose is not for you. Your quest will lead elsewhere." *she says to Alderic*
22:04  * Alianna hears Master Rose's comment and looks in the direction of the Anadari Master and Alderic questioningly.
22:05 <~bynw> *she walks with the staff as walking staff rather than a weapon towards the sitting Alianna and Maydla.*
22:05 < Maydla> "Alianna, you may want to ask her now..."
22:05  * Alianna rises from the bench and bows politely if still a little awkwardly to the Anadari Master.
22:06 < Alianna> "Master Rose, I understand you know how to use psychic ability in a combat situation, and I was wondering if you would be willing to teach me, though I have little formal education."
22:06 < Alderic> ::Leans against the staff languidly:: "Yes, very true Master Rose. I'm hoping the council maybe able to help me solve the Portal Plague."
22:07 <~bynw> *Master Rose* "So that is why the son of Master Gibran has come here."
22:07  * Maydla raises an eyebrow questionaingly.
22:08  * Alianna turns to Maydla.  "You have heard of the Portal Plague, have you not?"
22:08 < Maydla> "Indeed, I have."
22:09 < Alianna> "Lord Alderic here and I are looking to cure it if we can."
22:09 < Alderic> ::Grimaces at the mention of 'son of Gibran'::
22:09 < Alianna> "It is a heinous disease, frightening to anyone with psionic ability."
22:10  * Alianna laughs in Alderic's direction.  "Did you think you could remain anonymous?"
22:10 <~bynw> *Master Rose* "I am not able to teach you. But you can observe things my dear child. Alderic has special circumstances."
22:11 < Alianna> "This is true.  He's a walking special circumstance."
22:11  * Maydla smirks.
22:11 < Alderic> ::Frowns:: "I beg to differ."
22:12  * Alianna laughs at Alderic's apparent discomfiture.  "You have done nothing but stretch the realm of the ordinary since I met you."
22:12 <~bynw> "But I am also interested on how you managed to open the Gate here in Polaris. It's existance isn't well known outside of a small circle of travellers."
22:14 < Alderic> "We met a man who has found many secrets of the Gates. He brought us."
22:15 <~bynw> *Master Rose* "I shall take you to the Council. They may disapprove of your visit here. But they will be certain to hear you."
22:15 < Alderic> "Excellent."
22:16  * Alianna nods approvingly.
22:17 <~bynw> "Maydla. See to it that are guests are given better accomidations. We will spend the evening here and leave for the Council in the morning."
Bynw da GM
The World of Teara Adan
Founding Four Member