• Welcome to Teara Adan Adventures.

News:

The Teara Adan campaign is using Polyhedral Fudge

Main Menu

session 18

Started by Bynw, 26 July 2012, 21:49:35

Previous topic - Next topic

Bynw

19:37 <~bynw> ---------------------------------------------------------------------
19:37 <~bynw> ---------------------------- Previously -----------------------------
19:37 <~bynw> ---------------------------------------------------------------------
19:37 <~bynw> <~anlarye> *he looks at the 3* "His Grace has been expecting you.
19:37 <~bynw>             Come this way your apartments have been readied"
19:37 <~bynw> * Mirina looks a little taken aback, but follows the attendant.
19:37 <~bynw> < Riam> ::follows the man::
19:37 <~bynw> < Luc> ::Follows the man as well::
19:37 <~bynw> <~anlarye> *the attendant leads the group into the palace, through
19:37 <~bynw>             the main hall. the Dukes of stonemont are wealthy indeed.
19:37 <~bynw>             fine cut marbles are everywhere. the celings are vaulted.
19:37 <~bynw>             tapestries and paintings, and other works of art and
19:37 <~bynw>             craftsmanship are everywhere*
19:37 <~bynw> <~anlarye> *there are other people that pass by while the attendent
19:37 <~bynw>             takes you to your destination. and opens a door to good
19:37 <~bynw>             sized room. very much like the common room at the cottage*
19:37 <~bynw> <~anlarye> "this is your apartments. each of you have your own
19:37 <~bynw>             private rooms with baths. and you share this common area.
19:37 <~bynw>             it is late. relax and refresh yourselves. his grace will
19:37 <~bynw>             see you in the morning."
19:37 <~bynw> <~anlarye> *he parts closing the door behind him leaving the trio in
19:37 <~bynw>             the common room together*
19:39  * Mirina regards the luxurious apartments with a smile.
19:39  * Luc grins slightly at mirina's look of joy.
19:40 < Luc> "Food, Sleep, and then the Duke."
19:40 < Riam> ::Looks about for some alcohol::
19:42 <~bynw> *the common room is well stocked with breads, cheese and wine. a great number of books, scrolls. chairs and couches and several tables. a soft rug covers the floor from wall to wall
19:43 < Riam> ::Pours himself some of the wine, drinks it down and pours another:
19:43  * Mirina washes her hands and then slices some bread and puts a bit of cheese on it, and pours herself a glass of watered wine.
19:45  * Luc nibbles a little on the bread and cheese, and sits at a table.
19:48 <~bynw> *A small clock on one of the bookshelves in the room begins to chime ....
19:48 <~bynw> * one, two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight, nine, ten, eleven ...
19:49 < Riam> ??When is the last time we slept??
19:49 <~bynw> * eleven chimes before it quites again save for its rythmic ticking
19:49 <~bynw> !! just last night but you got up before dawn
19:50  * Mirina polishes off the bread and cheese and  sips her wine.  "I think a bath and bed would do us all good."
19:51 < Riam> ::Drains his wine cup and pours another:: "Bed, Bath, and wine for good dreams."
19:51  * Luc nods and goes and lays down, propping up a book and prepping a warding spell on the door before laying down fully.
19:51  * Mirina looks askance at Ri'am.  "I think you've got that under control."
19:53 < Riam> ::Looks to Mirina, then into his wine cup:: "The wine yes, the dreams...."
19:59 < Riam> ::The form a little girl sits melancholy and stares into her wine, then silently slides off towards the other rooms searching out the bathroom::
20:03 -!- fudgebob [~fudgebob@27B34E.4FEA8A.EF72B0.40A2AE] has quit [Ping timeout: 121 seconds]
20:05  * Mirina does likewise, goes off in search of a bath and a bed.
20:06 <~bynw> *the private baths and beds are a measure of wealth that most of the group have never known. running water inside the house is show of great wealth of the oldest state
20:07 <~bynw> *the beds are large, with pillows, silk sheets, soft and restful
20:08  * Mirina is impressed by the inside water, but not overly so, being from a wealthy family herself.
20:09 < Riam> ::Has seen wealth before, but takes a moment to enjoy the bath and relax before bed::
20:10 <~bynw> *the night passes with comfort as its only attribute. curtains cover the windows to the bedchambers that compleatly block out the light
20:17 <~bynw> *there is a knock at Luc's bedchamber door*
20:18 < Riam> ::Wakes in the morning, dresses, and enters the common room looking to break her fast::
20:19  * Luc wakes suddenly, and quickly disarms his spell, opening the door.
20:19  * Mirina wakes up in the luxurious bed and stretches, not wanting to get up just yet, then makes herself get out of bed and dress in a gray tunic and tan breeches and natural-wool stockings, no boots yet, and goes out into the common room to eat breakfast.
20:19 <~bynw> !! HOLD UP !!
20:23 <~bynw> (( scratch the knocking on the door ))
20:24 < Riam> ::Looks about for the wine, and something to eat::
20:25 <~bynw> *the common room too is dark, only a few lamps glowing with a low flame on the walls. the bread and cheese have been cleared and replaced with fresh bread, cheese, meats and fresh fruits. fruit juices have been added to the drink selections*
20:26  * Mirina slices some bread, some cheese, and a bit of meat, and pours herself a glass of fruit juice.
20:28 < Riam> ::Pours herself a cup of wine, drains it, pours another, and takes some of the bread and fruits::
20:29 -!- fudgebob [~fudgebob@27B34E.4FEA8A.EF72B0.40A2AE] has joined #teara-adan
20:29 -!- mode/#teara-adan [+h fudgebob] by ChanServ
20:29  * Luc pours a small amount of juice and a larger glass of wine getting some bread and cheese
20:30  * Mirina eats her breakfast and sips her juice, quietly and rather delicately.
20:31 <~bynw> *as the common room's clock chimes the 9 o'clock hour, there is a knock at the door of the common room just before it opens*
20:31  * Luc stands and goes to the door, opening it.
20:35 <~bynw> *the attendant from the previous night is at the door to the common room that joins the groups apartments.* "Good morning. His Grace will see you within the hour. He will come here to visit. Is there anything that you require?"
20:36  * Mirina regards the attendant.  "Should we dress for a formal audience?"
20:39 <~bynw> "The choice of dress is up to you." ::he says:: "As long as you are not in rags you should be well received."
20:39  * Mirina laughs lightly.
20:40 < Riam> ::Speaks from across the room:: "I only have rags to dress in."
20:41 <~bynw> "Just dress according to your station, prior to the outbreak of this tragic war we find ourselves in." ::he gives a glance to Luc for a moment before returing to a point between them all::
20:43  * Luc quirks a small grin. "You know how to dress, girl. Make it presentable and I'm sure the Duke wouldn't mind loaning you something if everything is threadbare and raglike now."
20:43  * Mirina finishes off her glass of juice.  "As far as needing anything, I can't really think of anything, myself."
20:44 < Riam> ::Drinks her wine::
20:44 <~bynw> ::attendant:: "I will have several options brought quickly"::he says giving them a slight bow before closing the door and leaving::
20:49 < Mirina> "While that's going on, I believe I'll change my clothes.  I'm clean and everything, but I'd rather look nice for a Duke."
20:50  * Mirina disappears into her room and re-emerges about a half an hour later in a soft dove-gray linen dress delicately embroidered at the cuffs and hem and neckline.
20:51 <~bynw> *around the same time that Mirina re-emerges the attendant returns with a few bundles of clothing suitable for the young lady and then departs*
20:51  * Luc sits relaxed in a robe of his order, the hood down on his back.
20:53 < Riam> ::disappears into her room to change and reemerges in clean clothing::
20:54 <~bynw> *shortly after the clock chimes ten, the attendant returns and stands at the open door*
20:55 <~bynw> "His Grace Sir Albert Duke of Stonemont, Lord of the Southern Reaches, General of the Imperial Armies, Magus"
20:55  * Mirina stands at the announcement and curtsies gracefully.
20:56 <~bynw> *The Duke is a young man. Mid 30's. Well dressed in his House colors of Orange and White.
20:56 <~bynw> * Wearing a finely tailored suit in the sytle commonly used amoung the Adanian aristocracy. His hair is short cropped in a military style, but stark white even now at his young age.
20:57 <~bynw> * His eyes are hazel. He has no apparent weapons. As he surveys the room*
20:58 <~bynw> :: with a glance and a mere wave the attendant nods and leaves the room, closing the door behind him. then the Duke takes a seat in one of the chairs::
20:58  * Mirina waits for Luc to take the lead.
20:59 < Riam> ::Sits back at the edge of the room, looking demure::
21:00 <~bynw> ::Duke:: "We are losing the southern parts of the Empire. The Mohadine have gained a deep foothold in those areas."
21:00 < Luc> "Your Grace." *bows*
21:01  * Mirina rises from the curtsey she had held as Luc straightens from his bow.
21:03  * Luc rises.
21:04 < Luc> "Yes your grace. We were at the initial incursion in the capital. We recovered these bracers. We think they may be the key to turning the tide, as it were."
21:05 <~bynw> ::Duke:: "They wont turn the tide. They assist, but nothing more."
21:05 < Riam> ::Pours a glass of wine for herself and sips it::
21:06  * Luc nods.
21:06 < Mirina> "Your Grace, is there any way to duplicate them, or their effect?"
21:06 < Luc> "We were at a sanctuary of the order nearby, and it was overrun. We lost a companion along the way."
21:07 -!- fudgebob is now known as Lancer
21:08 <~bynw> ::Duke:: "Of course Lady Mirina. And we have already done so. But they also have numbers. Which we do not have without conscripting whole towns across the Empire."
21:08  * Mirina nods.
21:09 < Riam> ::Brings her wine cup and approches the Duke with a smirk:: "What do they want, cousin?"
21:10  * Luc sputters and choaks on some wine.
21:10 < Luc> "COUSIN??"
21:10 <~bynw> ::Duke:: "I am aware of what happened at the Order's cottage Brother. We have lost a good number of the Anadari in this war."
21:11 <~bynw> ::Duke::
21:11 < Luc> "Do you have a proposed course of action, your Grace?"
21:12 <~bynw> "It's a Holy War to them. They fight with the belief that they are purifing the land."
21:13 < Riam> "Why now? Why here?"
21:15 <~bynw> "We don't know why yet Ri'am." ::he says:: "And to our course of action. Seeing if we can field troops against them. And we need numbers to equal them. We have lost many mundanes. Many of our brother wizards. And many of the Anadari who did well against their own adepts."
21:16  * Mirina seems taken aback at the news that Ri'am is the Duke's cousin, but was not sipping wine and therefore does not choke.
21:17 <~bynw> "We cannont possibly field trained soldiers to repel these invaders from our lands in anything less than a decade from conscription. We have only one hope to field the troops we need now."
21:17 < Luc> "What is that, your Grace?"
21:17 <~bynw> :: the Duke answers with just one word:: "Mariabronn"
21:18 < Luc> *shakes his head*
21:18  * Mirina looks puzzled.
21:18 < Luc> "I'm sorry your grace, but I thought you just said Mariabronn."
21:23 <~bynw> "I did Brother." ::he says:: "As Mariabronn in the past has fielded battles with there golem's the Bor'dah. That maybe our only salvation against our enemy."
21:25 < Luc> "And these bracers and their copies may serve to disable their ability to hurl energy and other forces at the golems."
21:25 <~bynw> "But no one who is alive has ever seen a Bor'dah. And Mariabronn has been silent for centuries."
21:26 < Luc> "So survival depends on a desperate bid to contact a group that no living person has ever seen a living person from?"
21:27 < Riam> "What will the various kingdoms within the empire think of Mariabronn joining the fight?"
21:28 < Mirina> "If Mariabronn can save us from the Mohadine, there'll be dancing in the streets."
21:29 <~bynw> ::Duke:: "Exactly Brother. The dispatches have already been sent. We are only awaiting a reply to see what they do. They are in just as much danger as the rest of us. It is in their best interests."
21:30 < Mirina> "It is in the best interest of nobody who lives here that the Mohadine should prevail, I should say."
21:30 <~bynw> "The decision was made by the Imperial War Council. The Emperor and others were not infavor of the move but the Council overrode them."
21:32 -!- Luc-mobile [~androirc@OWIRCN-6fd2f501.sub-70-198-1.myvzw.com] has joined #teara-adan
21:33 < Mirina> "It seems...desperate.  But, as they say, desperate times call for desperate measures."
21:37 < Riam> "Where do these Mohadine spawn from?"
21:39 <~bynw> "An unknown land across the great sea. We haven't been able to divine the location yet." :: the Duke answers ::
21:40 < Mirina> "I don't know how much I honestly care where the hell they come from, just so we get them out of here!"
21:41 < Riam> "And if Mariabronn landed these Bor'dah on the shores of the Mohadine's homeland?"
21:42 < Mirina> "AFTER we get them out of here, sure."
21:42 < Riam> "If you where attacking a castle and you got word that your home what on fire and your children in chains, what would you do?"
21:43 < Mirina> "That's running on the assumption that they don't have a ton of troops at home, wherever home is."
21:44 < Luc> "Either way, our worry now is NOT retaliation. It's preventing the large scale conquer of our homelands."
21:44 < Riam> "Your thinking defensively."
21:45 < Luc> "Which is what we need to survive, currently, Riam. We can worry about striking back once we have a solid defensive front."
21:46 < Riam> "The best defense is a good offense. We attack their home and it will draw them out of our lands like moths to flame."
21:47 < Luc> "Or they'll take our homes, our families, and our land from us and say bugger their land."
21:48 < Riam> "No. their religious fanatics. They will defend their opulent temples and dusty relics. Their, holy land."
21:50 < Riam> "They see themselves as good. Scourging the land of barbarians. They will turn back and defend their families. They have to, or else admit to themselves they are no better then the rest of us."
21:50 -!- Luc-mobile [~androirc@OWIRCN-6fd2f501.sub-70-198-1.myvzw.com] has quit [Connection closed]
21:51 < Riam> "And best of all they will never guess that move. We will surprise them."
21:51 < Mirina> "That assumes we know where they come from, which, near as I can tell, we don't."
21:52 < Riam> "OR you can wage war on them here Mage and watch our lands burn, crops go un-tended and spoil, our people die and starve. War will bring hell to us win or lose."
21:53 < Riam> ::Nods to Mirina:: "Then we will have to find out wont we?"
21:53 < Mirina> "Quickly."
21:53 < Mirina> "And we need to know how well their home is defended."
21:54 < Riam> "We need to speak their language and we don't have time to learn it from books." ::Looks to the Duke::
21:55 <~bynw> ::Duke:: "Tactically that would be an agressive and sound move Ri'am. But we have to find it first. And then we would have to travel there ... Granted with magic it would take no time at all. But given they have magics of anti-magics ... we would have to fight that as well."
21:58 < Luc> "Hmmm....Your Grace, as the senior among those able to craft magic into useful tools, can you tell me whether it is possible to defend an entire continent the size of our own with items from an incoming portal of magical making?"
22:01 <~bynw> ::Duke:: "Everything is possible. All magic use has it's price."
22:01 < Mirina> "Its price?"
22:01 < Mirina> "I don't have much involvement with Spectral Magic, so I truly don't understand."
22:02 <~bynw> ::Duke:: "For simple spells m'lady. The price is a few items along the ancient princple of 'like produces like'."
22:03  * Mirina nods, listening.
22:03 < Luc> "It's difficult to explain, my Lady, but let us put it this way simple: Whether it be stamina of the body, intense study, physical components like a mace or a stick with a button, or whatnot, depending on the spell, all magic has its price."
22:03 < Mirina> "Oh, I see.  Like how I need to rest after Healing."
22:04 < Luc> "Exactly."
22:07 < Riam> "What do these Mohadine sacrifice for their sorcery?"
22:08 <~bynw> "To do what my Brother Luc is suggesting. Although possible, would be a high price. Taking several mages to cast together and possibly taking their lives in the process. Nothing like this has been done in centuries."
22:10 < Luc> "Is it possible to bypass something that strong? Given our current resources in manpower and magical devices? And would the bracers have any effect on something that strong?"
22:10 < Riam> "Mariabronn has done it. They might know the answers to your questions."
22:12 < Riam> "Might be able to track such magics even. If the Mohadine have used them."
22:12 < Luc> "Given their ability to block spells using these bracers, i doubt they haven't thought to block their home from incoming remote relocation spells."
22:13 < Riam> "We need answers. We need interrogation. We need to scout, and for that we need to speak their language."
22:14 <~bynw> "That could be done easily enough with help of magic Ri'am."
22:15 < Luc> "Even my magic, as it is, might be able to do that."
22:17 < Riam> "I thought so. So do we have a plan then. Find the Mohadine. Talk to Mariabronn. Drop these Bor'dah on the Mohadine homeland and let them do their worst?"
22:18 <~bynw> ::the duke stands and motions for everyone else to stand as well::
22:18  * Luc stands
22:18 < Riam> ::Is already standing, but takes a long drink of his wine::
22:19  * Mirina had never sat down, but curtsies again as the Duke stands, as if reflexively.
22:19 <~bynw> ::the duke whispers a word of power::

Bynw da GM
The World of Teara Adan
Founding Four Member